(UPDATE 1/15 – I still love this pasta salad and make it with Jovial Foods Brown Rice Pasta!)
Before going gluten-free, this pasta salad was one of my favorite go-to’s for summer picnics and parties! Everyone always loves it and asks for the recipe. The creamy garlic dressing is to die for and really makes the salad. I like using the dressing for regular green salad as well! A few months ago I had a dog-thememed birthday party for my son and wanted to make this and call it “PAW-sta” salad amongst other dog things (cheesy Mom jokes..). Luckily I found a brand of gluten-free pasta that actually holds up in a cold salad! I was thrilled. Nobody even thought about the fact the salad was gluten-free while they were eating it! The brand of pasta is bionaturae Organic Penne. I highly recommend it for this dish! Of course if you don’t have to eat gluten-free regular pasta works great.
Broccoli, artichokes, red peppers and olives make a winning combination, but you can really use whatever vegetables you’d like. A friend who came to my son’s birthday party remembered this pasta salad and asked that I bring it to a get-together a few weeks ago. It is so nice to be able to enjoy one of my favorite dishes and have it taste exactly the same!
This pasta salad is always a crowd-pleaser. The creamy dressing really makes the salad!
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small pieces (I usually blanch this in the water to cook the pasta for 1 minute)
- 2 cans black olives, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 jars marinated artichoke hearts, diced
- 12 ounces of penne pasta (I use Bionaturae Gluten-Free Penne and it holds up great)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Blend all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad and about 1/2 the dressing. Mix then add more dressing to reach the desired consistency.
- Refrigerate at least 1 1/2 hours before serving. Enjoy!