I made this pudding as a dessert for Sunday dinner tonight and none of my family guessed it was only sweetened with dates! I have been meaning to play around with dates for awhile now and was happily surprised with the results. I love the chocolate-banana combination in anything! This pudding is great because it looks really impressive even though it is so easy and requires no cooking. My 2-year-old couldn’t get enough of it. I continue to be amazed at all the things you can do with coconuts. The coconut cream used as the base for the pudding is so delicious. Hooray for another dairy-free and refined-sugar-free dessert!
Chocolate and banana pudding sweetened with dates for a delicious dessert.
- 2 cans of coconut milk
- 1 packed cup of dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 5 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- Place the cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight or for at least 2 hours. Open the cans and scrape the solid cream off the top. Keep the cream from each can divided (one can's cream is for the pudding and the other is for the coconut whipped cream) Discard the liquid part or save it for smoothies, curries, etc.
- Soak the pitted dates in warm water for 15 minutes. Drain and shake dry. In a food processor, combine the dates with the coconut cream from 1 can and process until very smooth. For a smooth texture, strain the date/coconut mixture in a fine mesh strainer. I strained mine, but if you don't mind some of the date skins don't worry about it! Fold in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, pinch of salt, and cacao powder.
- Using a hand or stand mixer, whip up the remaining coconut cream from the second can with the honey and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Layer the sliced bananas, chocolate pudding, and coconut whipped cream in parfait glasses. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!