Chocolate and mint is one of my favorite cookie combinations! A few months ago I discovered Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Honey Mints. As soon as I tasted one, I knew they would be perfect in a Christmas cookie. If you’ve never tried them you must! They are divine and have only 3 ingredients – chocolate, honey, and mint.
If you don’t live by Trader Joe’s… I’m sorry. I didn’t live by one for a few years – dark days, I tell you. But you can still make these cookies! Just use any peppermint patty you like. You can also make some of my homemade, refined-sugar-free, peppermint patties.
These cookies are totally delicious. They are crispy on the outside and almost brownie-like on the inside. The mint patty melts into the top layer, so you get some of it’s yummy, gooiness in every bite. These are the perfect Christmas cookie in my book. They are also grain and refined-sugar-free!
This picture says it all! Soft and chocolatey on the inside with the delicious melted mint. I wish I had some more right now!
- 12 Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Honey Mints or peppermint patty of your choice (make your own paleo peppermint patties using my recipe)*
- 1/4 cup palm shortening or butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Unwrap the honey mints. Place them in a bowl in the freezer for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor, or using a hand mixer, blend together all the wet ingredients until well-combined.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop out tablespoon-size mounds of dough onto the cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie slightly. Bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove the honey mints from the freezer and take the cookies out of the oven. Press 1 honey mint down onto each cookie. Bake for another 3-4 minutes.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for 5-10 minutes. Transfer carefully to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!