Warm. Comforting. Creamy. Healthy. Filling. Fast.
This porridge is everything I could ever want out of breakfast!
When it comes to breakfast cereal, I am definitely a hot cereal kind of girl. I love oatmeal and steel cut oats, but making porridge out of other grains has been a fun way to change it up. Plus I know a lot of people on a gluten-free diet don’t tolerate oats very well (even certified gluten-free ones). So this is a great alternative!
Millet is a grain I’ve come to appreciate more lately. I’d never heard of it before going gluten-free! It has a slightly nutty flavor and is incredibly nutritious. Millet is full of fiber, magnesium, and B-vitamins. Like quinoa, it is also high in protein.
For this porridge, you soak the millet and almonds overnight. In the morning you drain them and blend them up with water in a high-speed blender. Adding raw almonds to the mix is what makes this porridge so creamy. It’s like making homemade almond milk along with the millet!
The porridge is slightly sweet from dates and gets added protein from hemp seeds if you wish. To me, it is all about the toppings! I love adding lots of different toppings like nuts and fruit for texture and crunch.
- 3/4 cup millet
- 1/4 cup raw almonds/nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 dates
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- chopped raw almonds
- berries (frozen or fresh)
- coconut flakes
- chia seeds
- additional almond milk
- Place the millet and almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Stir in the apple cider vinegar. Cover and let sit at room temperature overnight.
- Drain and thoroughly rinse the millet and almonds. Place in a high-speed blender with 3 cups of water. Process on high (I used the "whole juice" function), until the mixture is smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a pan over medium heat. Heat, whisking constantly for the first 5 minutes until the mixture thickens. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes or so.
- Serve topped with chopped almonds and blueberries.
More Gluten-Free Hot Cereals: