If you eat gluten-free and miss donuts, these delectable little breakfast puffs are for you! They might just be my favorite new breakfast thing ever. They taste like little donuts (but much easier to make than donuts!) rolled in brown butter and cinnamon sugar. Brown butter makes everything exponentially more delicious. I like making these breakfast puffs in a mini muffin pan so you get more coating and brown butter in every bite.
I use brown butter for rolling these breakfast puffs after they’re done baking, but use coconut oil in the puff batter. Coconut oil works well with gluten-free cake-like baked goods because it makes a nice light texture. Butter solids can sometimes make the crumb of gluten-free cakes get gummy. The good news if you have to eat dairy-free, just swap out the browned butter for vegan butter and these are totally dairy-free!
My 4-year-old loves helping me roll these in the butter and cinnamon sugar. These are best right out the oven and make the perfect special breakfast treat!
I like these best made in a mini muffin pan then completely rolled in the butter/cinnamon sugar. They taste like little donuts! You can also make these in a standard-size muffin pan. These are best eaten warm, right out of the oven.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup Bobâ€™s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 1 teaspoon cider vinegar, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350Â°F. Grease a 30-count mini muffin pan (preferred) or a 12-count standard size muffin pan.
- Prepare coating: In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat and continue to cook it, stirring frequently, until brown bits form on the bottom and it smells nutty, about 5-7 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and set aside. In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon. Set aside as well.
- Make the puffs: In a medium bowl, mix together the baking flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the eggs and granulated sugar. Mix on medium speedy until foamy, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running on low, slowly pour in the coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine, followed by the almond milk/cider vinegar mixture. Mix to fully combine.
- Scoop the into prepared muffin cups, filling only 2/3 of the way. Overfilling them will make the puffs spill out of the pan rather than looking like puffs. Bake miniature muffins for 15-17 minutes or standard sized muffins for 22-25 minutes. When finished, muffins will feel springy to the touch and a tester inserted into the center will come out clean. Transfer them in their pan to a wire rack.
- After the puffs cool for 3-5 minutes, roll them in the brown butter (or dip the top) followed by the cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately. These are best hot, right out of the oven. Enjoy!
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Use Earth Balance buttery sticks in place of the butter. Just melt the Earth Balance before dipping.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen