I love salads any time of the year, but lately we have been melting in this heat. All I can think about cooking is something light that won’t heat up my kitchen. This salad is as easy as throwing some chicken on the grill and tossing the rest of the ingredients together. That is my kind of dinner on a scorching weekday night!
Unfortunately my toddler is yet to appreciate a tossed dinner salad. I have, however, found he will eat a deconstructed version of most dinner salads. With this one I give him pieces of the chicken, tomatoes, and a few olives and he loves it.
His favorite has to be this salad, though. He lives for berries and sweet potatoes!
I wonder where he gets that from…
The chicken for this salad gets marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, and oregano, making it moist and flavorful.
The dressing for this salad might just be my favorite part! I had some fresh oregano leftover from a CSA basket that was perfect for it. But you can definitely use dry oregano with great results!
Greek salad with oregano marinated chicken and a fresh lemon salad dressing.
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of your chef's knife
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 hearts romaine lettuce
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, cut into chunks
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes cut into chunks, or a handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced (I like to soak these in red wine vinegar for 30 minutes before adding them to the salad)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (optional)
- Marinate the chicken. Combine all the ingredients for the chicken in a swallow dish or bag. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours. (I like the marinate the red onions in red wine vinegar during this time too.)
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board then tent the chicken with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Toss all the remaining ingredients for the salad together. Slice the chicken and add to the salad. Shake the dressing and add just enough to to the salad. Serve immediately. Enjoy!