If you’re undecided about kale salads or decided they aren’t for you, this salad will change all of that. Speaking as someone who didn’t grow up eating kale salads, this one has me totally converted. I crave it! There are a few things I’ve learned to make kale salads delicious.
Buying the right kind of kale: I very much prefer lacinato or Italian kale over the curly stuff.
How you cut the kale: Removing the ribs and, very very thinly slicing the kale makes all the difference.
The kind of dressing you use: A lemon or citrus dressing works best.
How you prepare the kale: Massage it!
Aside from those tips, this kale salad is extra delicious because of all the textures and flavors. I add chopped red cabbage, apples, carrots, almonds, and cranberries. The apples and cranberries make it festive! Another thing I love about kale salads is how they hold up after they’re dressed. You can make this salad and serve it hours later and it will still be perfect, which is great if you’re bringing a dish to a holiday gathering.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the Salad:
- 1 head of kale (I prefer lacinato or Italian kale), rib removed and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, chopped or sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup apple, diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a small jar, shake vigorously to mix.
- Place the kale in a bowl and add 1-2 tablespoons of the dressing. Use your hands to massage the kale for a few minutes until the leaves turn darker and wilt slightly.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the salad. Add a few more tablespoons of dressing and serve. Enjoy!