My husband and I definitely share a love for chocolate. Growing up, my family would get a big box of See’s Candy to share at Christmas and Easter. I grew up on the east coast, where See’s Candy didn’t have a store front. So those chocolates always seemed like extra special treats to my brothers and I. My mother-in-law is known for enclosing See’s Candies gift cards in the birthday cards she sends out. My husband and I love using those to go pick out our favorite chocolates a few times a year. The great news is that ALL See’s Candies are gluten-free! However, they are obviously not refined-sugar free and many contain dairy.
I’ve had the wheels turning on how to create a paleo Valentine’s day chocolate for awhile now. These coconut based peppermint patties turned out delicious! My husband said they could compete with See’s Candies in terms of deliciousness, which is high praise indeed! The other great thing about these is that they are so easy to make. They involve no cooking or baking.
Dipping things in chocolate is clearly not one of my strengths…
I’m sure it is very possible to make these more attractive!
These chocolates are perfect for your paleo or vegan Valentine this year. Even though my Valentine isn’t on any kind of special diet, I know I will be making more for him!
Delicious homemade peppermint patties with no refined sugar.
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- In a food processor, process the shredded coconut about 30 seconds until it is very fine. Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, honey and peppermint extract. Process until about 30 seconds until a smooth paste has formed.
- Shape the paste into about 1 1/2 inch size rounds and place on a cookie sheet. Place the rounds in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium power or over a double boiler. Remove the shaped patties from the freezer and coat in chocolate. Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before serving. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.