The good news is these muffins are not made using many-weeks-old cake! They are another lovely grain-free creation using high-fiber almond flour. These muffins would be delicious turned into a cupcake with cream cheese frosting. They are also great for breakfast or a snack topped with sliced almonds.
These muffins are so moist on the inside. The real almond extract gives them a wonderful aroma. I wish I had another one right now. Enjoy these next time you have guests over for brunch!
Moist and sweet almond poppy seed muffins that remind me of bear claws.
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (325 F if you have a dark-bottomed pan). Line 10 muffins cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, palm sugar, coconut oil, and almond extract. Blend the wet ingredients into the dry using a hand mixer until thoroughly combined, then fold in the poppy seeds.
- Scoop 1/4 cup batter into each prepared muffin cup. Top with toasted sliced almonds if desired.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Cool and enjoy!
recipe adapted from Gluten Free Cupcakes