Caramelized Shallot, Kale & Sausage Hash! Need something to do with all the sausages you bought at Costco? Make this healthy and satisfying hash! (Gluten-Free)
I use Aidell’s Pineapple Bacon Sausage from Costco in this recipe. Any pre-cooked sausage will work. I also like using Italian kale (aka Lacinato or Dinosaur). Leftovers from this reheat great!
For the Potatoes:
- 2lbs Yukon gold potatoes, wash and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (peeling is optional, but recommended)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + more for cooking
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the hash:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large shallots (or 6 small shallots), thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt (or regular salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of cayenne
- 2 fully cooked sausages, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 bunch kale, ribs removed and very thinly sliced (I prefer Italian aka Lacinato or dinosaur kale)
- optional: fried eggs and hot sauce for serving
- Place the peeled and diced potatoes in a large glass, microwave-safe bowl. Toss with the olive oil and salt. Microwave on high for three 5-minute increments. 15 minutes total, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium in a nonstick or cast iron skillet and add the sliced shallots. Cook on medium-low, stirring often until caramelized, about 10 minutes. Transfer the shallots to a bowl and wipe out the pan.
- When the potatoes are done, heat 2 more tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the potatoes and sausage in an even layer and let cook without moving for 5 minutes. Sprinkle the salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne over the potato mixture.
- Stir and continue to cook until soft, about 5 minutes longer. Add the kale and caramelized shallots. Cook until the kale is wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with fried eggs and hot sauce if desired. Leftovers reheat great. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4