- 1 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 dates
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- Pour the almond milk into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Place the egg yolks in a bowl. When the milk starts to scald, slowly pour about 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks while mixing vigorously with a whisk. Add the egg/milk mixture back to the pan and heat over medium heat while whisking.
- Whisk in the cacao powder, maple syrup, and salt. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Watch it carefully, to be sure it does not boil.The mixture should thicken slightly and coat the back of a wooden spoon when it’s done.
- When the custard has thickened, remove it from the heat and stir in the vanilla and almond extracts. Place the dates in a food processor or high speed blender. With the blender/processor running, slowly pour in the hot custard. Process/blend until the dates are completely smooth and incorporated. Add the chia seeds and pulse to combine evenly.
- Pour the custard into 4 jars or ramekins. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight (or at least 8 hours). Serve with bananas, coconut milk whipped cream, chocolate shavings, chopped nuts, etc. Enjoy!