Chocolate Coconut Cloud Cookies! A cross between a meringue and a macaroon. SOFT and chewy with crispy edges and covered in chocolate and macadamia nuts!
- 1 14oz package sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (I use this dairy-free condensed coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat (preferred) or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, place the egg whites. Beat on medium speed, adding the sugar slowly over 3-4 minutes. Increase the speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes more.
- Fold the egg white mixture carefully into the shredded coconut mixture, until just combined being careful not to overmix. Scoop out 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized mounds onto the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combined the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until melted. Alternatively you can melt the chocolate in the microwave at 50% heat stirring every minute until melted.
- When the cookies are cool, drizzle the top of each with some melted chocolate. Top with a sprinkle of macadamia nuts. Let the chocolate set and enjoy!
- Keep leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
MAKE IT NUT-FREE: Omit the macadamia nut topping. Top with something else like crushed pretzels or more shredded coconut.
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Use coconut milk sweetened condensed milk (linked above) in place of regular condensed milk.