Most of this stuffing can be made in advance. I like to toast the bread and make the celery/onion mixture the night before. Let the bread sit at room temperature until the next day and refrigerate the onion/celery mixture. Then just make the egg/stock mixture, mix everything together and bake!
- 1 loaf gluten-free bread (12oz-18oz), sliced into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 1/4 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free soy sauce (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 300F. Place the cubed bread on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and toss to evenly combine. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 30-35 minutes until dry and slightly toasted. Let cool.
- In a skillet over medium-low heat, add the butter and melt. Add the onion,celery, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until completely soft, about 15 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, sage, pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and gluten-free soy sauce (if using) and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- **To make-ahead stop here and store the celery/onion mixture in the fridge until the next day and keep the toasted bread at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Heat the chicken stock in the microwave or in a skillet until just simmering. Place the eggs in a bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly add the hot stock to the eggs, starting with just a few tablespoons while whisking constantly. Add the rest of the stock while whisking.
- Place the bread cubes, celery/onion mixture and stock/egg mixture in a large bowl and gently stir to combine. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish and cover tightly with tin foil.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes until golden and toasted on top. Serve and enjoy!
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Use vegan butter in place of the regular butter.
MAKE IT SOY-FREE: Omit the soy sauce.
- Serving Size: 6-8