Today I’m so excited to be reviewing and giving away a copy of my friend Kelly Smith’s (from The Nourishing Home) new cookbook Everyday Grain-Free Baking! The Nourishing Home is one of the first blogs I found years ago when I was new to a gluten-free diet. Kelly’s recipes have been such a great resource for me over the years. Her new cookbook is no exception! Kelly’s recipes are all grain-free and refined-sugar-free. Most have dairy-free options and many recipes are egg-free. When I received Kelly’s book, my 3-year-old and I looked through every page at all the delicious things to make. The photography is gorgeous. My son wanted to make just about everything in the book!
Some recipes I can’t wait to try include:
– Southern-Style Biscuits
– Sweet Cinnamon Roll Biscuits
– Apple Cinnamon Puff Pancake
– Morning Glory Muffins
– Favorite Fruit Tart
– Boston Cream Pie
– Almost Oatmeal Cookies
– Double Chocolate Cream Pie
and many more!
One of my all-time favorite treats is cinnamon coffee cake. Kelly’s recipe for Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake stuck out to me as I was thumbing through the book and I made it for a breakfast treat the next day. It turned out delicious! It is lightly sweetened with honey and full of wholesome ingredients. My son and husband both gave the coffee cake a thumbs up as well.
Kelly has graciously allowed me to share the recipe below. You can also enter the giveaway for a copy of Everyday Grain-Free Baking below. I’m sure this cookbook will be a new staple in our house, and will be in yours as well!
Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
Reprinted with permission from Everyday Grain-Free Baking
Yield: 9 servings
1 tablespoon butter (or coconut oil)
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon honey
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (or coconut oil)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3½ cups blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup honey
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (or palm shortening)
½ cup pure coconut milk
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
4 large eggs, plus 2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 315°F. Lightly oil a 9×9-inch baking dish; set aside.
2. For the Topping: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Add the finely chopped walnuts and toss well to combine. Set aside.
3. For the Cinnamon Swirl: In a small bowl, whisk together the butter (or coconut oil), honey, and cinnamon until well blended. Set aside.
4. For the Cake: In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs and egg whites to the top of the dry ingredients in the order given. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process until the batter is smooth and creamy (about 20–25 seconds).
5. Add the eggs and egg whites. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process just enough to blend the eggs into the batter (about 10–15 seconds). Use a thin spatula as needed to scrape down the sides.
6. Carefully spoon half of the batter into the prepared baking dish. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the top.
7. Drizzle with the cinnamon swirl across the top of the batter. Then carefully spoon the remaining cake batter on top. Use an offset spatula to smooth the top of the batter. Next, starting at the edges of the cake, crumble the topping evenly across the cake. Use your fingers to gently press the topping into the batter a bit.
8. Bake the cake for 45–55 minutes until light golden brown along edges and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool about 5-10 minutes. Then serve warm with your favorite coffee or tea.