My husband and I are currently on a no-sugar diet. I’ve been trying to cut out sugar completely for a few months. Easter weekend my husband decided he wanted to join me in hopes of kicking his soda/candy habits. Sunday night after Easter dinner we threw away all the sugar in our house. I have to say it was really liberating! We also made a sticker chart to hang on our fridge to mark off our no-sugar days. Sticker charts aren’t just for my 3-year-old anymore!
We’ve done really well so far and have only had 2 small treats during the past few weeks (which we don’t beat ourselves up about, because it is all about long-term sustainable change to us). Hence the lack of sweet recipes on my blog lately. I will always love treats, but I have certainly eaten them too many of them in the past. Completely eliminating sugar for a period is helping me change my habits for the better!
One great thing about eliminating sugar is my focus has shifted to satisfying savory food. If you’re in the mood for a dinner salad during the warmer days ahead, let it be this one! I’ve talked about my love of lentil salads before, and this one is a new favorite. I was actually inspired to make this after reading the serving suggestions on the back of a package of Trader Joe’s lentils. I love the small green lentils they sell because they hold their shape nicely during cooking. Any lentils will work though!
Anything that contains the combination of goat cheese and caramelized shallots/onions is a win in my book. The two are a flavor match made in heaven. The lentils are cooked in chicken stock with a bit of white wine (optional), so they are infused with flavor. All these components together make for a satisfying and flavorful salad! I serve this over baby kale because I like it’s heartiness, but any salad green will work!
- 1 cup lentils (I use Trader Joe’s Small Whole Green Lentils)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- salt & pepper
- 6-7 shallots, thinly sliced
- Baby kale (my favorite with this), arugula, or salad greens of choice
- Olive oil
- Goat cheese
- Fried/poached egg
To make the lentils:
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the lentils and wine and cook for 30 minutes, until soft. Drain and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
For the salad:
- While the lentils are cooking, caramelize the shallots. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes until caramelized.
- Assemble the salad by tossing your greens of choice with a little lemon juice, olive oil, and salt/pepper. Top with the lentils, caramelized onion, a crumble of goat cheese, and a fried or poached egg. Enjoy!
*I often make the lentils and caramelized shallots ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator. Then I can just make a fried egg when I’m ready to eat the salad.