For many of my recipes you can substitute a store-bought all-purpose gluten-free blend in place of my flour. However, this recipe will only work with my grain-free blend. The balance of flavor and texture is perfect! These rolls are best hot out of the oven. Enjoy!
- 1 cup warm water, about 110F
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) instant or highly-active yeast
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200F. When the oven reaches 200F, turn it off. Do not start the next step until the oven is off. You want it to be warm to quickly proof the dough, but not too hot.
- In a measuring cup, mix together the water, yeast, and sugar. Let sit until bubbly, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together the dry ingredients. Whisk in the egg and apple cider vinegar into the yeast mixture. With the mixer running on low, slowly drizzle in the wet ingredients. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Increase the mixer speed to medium-high, beat for 6 minutes.
- With an oiled spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl to form the dough into a mound. The dough will be very wet, like thick pancake batter. It will thicken up and be more roll-like. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the warm oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the oven and let rise for another 20-25 minutes on the counter. Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Using wet hands, roll 1/4-1/3 cup mounds of dough into 11 balls. The dough will be wet, you may have to re-wet your hands every couple rolls. Arrange in a greased pie pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Brush with butter before serving. These rolls are best hot out of the oven. Enjoy!
*Make these egg-free: Omit the egg, add 2 tablespoons ground golden flaxseed to the dry ingredients. Increase the water by 1 tablespoon.
*Make these dairy-free: Use vegan butter instead of regular butter.