Perfect apple crumb muffins with a moist, tender crumb, crispy streusel topping and shredded sweet apple, in every bite!
For the Crumble Topping:
- 1/3 cup gluten-free oats*
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Erin’s Grain-Free Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened but not melted (or softened butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups Erin’s Grain-Free Flour Blend
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup peeled, shredded apple (1 large or 2 small apples)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine all the ingredients for the crumb topping with a fork until pea-sized lumps form.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet in another bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the shredded apples and stir until just barely combined. Don’t overstir!
- Scoop the batter to fill each muffin cup 2/3 of the way. Sprinkle each with some of the crumb topping, pressing lightly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool slightly and enjoy!
*Thinly sliced almonds or quinoa flakes can be substituted for oats.