I’ve been making the banana bread for months and feel like I’ve been holding out on you not sharing the recipe! This banana bread is adapted from the classic banana bread recipe my Mom made growing up. I’ve adapted it to use my Grain-Free Flour Blend (30% buckwheat flour, 30% almond flour, 30% potato starch, and 10% arrowroot powder) and to be sweetened with maple syrup. I made a loaf for my Mom and brother a few weeks ago and they both like it even better than the original!
I love using my Grain-Free Flour Blend for everyday baked goods like this. It is much more nutritious, has more fiber, and has a lower glycemic index than most store-bought gluten-free flour blends. Once you mix the flour together you can use it in some of my other favorite everyday gluten-free baked goods like this applesauce cake or these pancakes (not necessarily a baked good but something I make at least twice a month!).
This banana bread reminds me of this maple-syrup sweetened pumpkin chocolate chip bread which is one of my most popular recipes. I especially love making breads like this as mini loaves. Gluten-free quick breads bake up so nicely as mini loaves. This also makes a great standard loaf. Everyone needs a go-to banana bread recipe. This is mine! I hope you love it!
The combination of buckwheat flour and almond flour in my grain-free flour blend make this banana bread truly delicious with great texture. I don’t recommend substituting store-bought all-purpose gluten-free flour here. I especially love making this banana bread as 3 mini loaves. You can also substitute 2/3 cup can sugar + 2 tablespoons almond milk for the maple syrup if you like. However, I love the flavor of the maple with the bananas!
- 1 3/4 cup Erin’s Grain-Free Flour Blend
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup palm shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (2-2 1/2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a standard loaf pan or 3 mini loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, beat together the maple syrup and palm shortening until mostly combined. Add the eggs and mix for another mix or so until incorporated and smooth. Add the bananas and dry ingredients. Mix until just combined, then stir in the nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan or pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes for mini loaves or 40-50 minutes for a standard loaf. A toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean with the bread is done.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Enjoy!
*Erin’s Grain-Free Flour Blend: 30% Almond Flour, 30% Buckwheat Flour, 30% Potato Starch, 10% Arrowroot Powder – More information here