To save time in the morning, I usually make the potato/bacon mixture ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until I’m ready to make a burrito. Then in the morning all I have to do is reheat the potatoes (about 1/2 cup per burrito), scrambled the eggs (make 2 per burrito) and melt the cheese on the tortillas. My favorite gluten-free tortillas to use for this are the Mission Gluten-Free Soft Taco Tortillas. (Not sponsored, just delicious!) I also like to use the brand Real Salt Seasoned Salt for the potatoes, but any salt will do.
For the Bacon & Potatoes:
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12oz bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
For the Burritos:
- Scrambled eggs (make 2 per burrito)
- Gluten-free tortillas
- Grated cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Hot Sauce
- Place the chopped and peeled potatoes in a glass (or microwave-safe) bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon avocado oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Microwave for three 5-minute increments (15 minutes total), stirring every 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat. This recipe works best with a cast-iron or non-stick skillet. Once crispy, remove and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- Heat the bacon fat over medium-high heat and add the potatoes in an even layer. Cook without moving for 7-9 minutes. Sprinkle over the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne over the top.
- Stir and continue to cook until soft, about 5 minutes more. Then add the bacon back in. At this point you can save the potatoes in the fridge for when you’re ready to make a burrito. Reheat 1/2 cup of the mixture per burrito.
- To make a breakfast burrito, first make some scrambled eggs. I usually make 2 eggs per burrito. Heat a tortilla over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Flip and sprinkle cheese in the middle. Once the cheese begins to melt, add about 1/2 cup of the potato mixture and some scrambled eggs. Use a spatula to pull up the sides and help shape the burrito.
- Once the bottom of the tortilla is slightly golden and everything is hot, transfer to a piece of foil. Add the avocado and hot sauce if desired. Wrap up in the foil and enjoy!