This is my very favorite gluten-free sandwich bread! I like using Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour in the bread and can’t guarantee results with another brand. However, other all-purpose blends that contain xanthan gum might work. Comment below if you try another one that works! Slice the bread into individual slices before freezing. Bread can be toasted straight from the freezer.
For the Yeast Mixture:
- 1/2 cup warm water, no hotter than 110F
- 1 envelope (2 1/4 teaspoons) highly active or instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
For the Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 200F. (This is to get the oven warm to do a quick proof, which helps the bread rise.) Turn the oven off once it reaches 200F. Make sure the oven is turned off before you start with the next steps so it isn’t too hot to proof the bread.
- Grease a 5 x 9-inch loaf pan.
- Combine the ingredients for the yeast mixture and whisk together. Let sit for 5 minutes or so while you make the dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine the baking flour, almond flour, and salt.
- Place the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat on medium until slightly pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- In a glass measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup water with the psyllium husk powder and flaxseed meal. Whisk until totally smooth and let sit for 1-3 minutes before adding it to the dough.
- Slowly add the flour to the eggs, followed by the butter, yeast mixture, and flaxseed mixture. Beat on medium speed for 6 minutes. The dough will resemble cookie dough.
- Scrape the dough into the prepared baking pan and smooth the top with wet hands if needed. Place in the loaf in the warm oven and let rise for 10 minutes. Remove the loaf from the oven and let rise for another 20 minutes on the counter. During this time, preheat the oven to 375F. The bread will not rise tall like regular bread, but should rise a few inches to about the top of the pan.
- Bake the bread for 35-45 minutes, until the internal temperature registers 200F on an instant-read thermometer or until the top is golden and seems firm when tapped.
- Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool for at least another 20 minutes before slicing. Enjoy!
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Substitute the butter for olive oil or oil of choice
This recipe will not work without the eggs, unfortunately.