To me, pumpkin is definitely more than just a fall flavor! I love it so much, pumpkin goods continue to make an appearance well through the holidays. These pumpkin waffles are crisp, light, and flavorful.
My 3-year-old and I love adding a few chocolate chips. We like eating them straight out of the waffle iron at the counter with our hands this way. My husband is a maple-syrup lover and likes these without the chocolate chips, but smothered in warm butter and hot syrup. I would eat these waffles either way any day!
Like my other favorite waffle recipes, these waffles freeze very well. I always freeze the extras to defrost in the toaster for a quick breakfast or snack later. These are easy enough to make on a weekday (no whipping egg whites required), but special enough for a holiday breakfast. Enjoy!
- 1 cup sorghum or brown rice flour (I use sprouted brown rice flour)
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 2/3 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter
- 4-6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup almond milk (or milk of choice, not canned coconut milk)
- mini chocolate chips
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients in another bowl (started with 1 1/2 cups almond milk and add more if needed later). Add the wet to the dry and stir to combine.
- Heat a waffle iron according the manufacturer's instructions. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray and pour enough batter to fill the iron then quickly sprinkle a few chocolate chips over the top. Cook until crisp. I find gluten-free waffles have to cook longer than regular waffles. I cook mine for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and keep warm in a 200F oven or serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be broken apart and frozen. They can be put straight from the freezer to the toaster to be defrosted for a quick, easy snack or breakfast.
More whole-grain, gluten-free waffle recipes…