Paleo banana bread is easy to make and has delicious flavor and texture. It’s grain and dairy-free! Make this recipe for a breakfast treat or healthy snack.
While this paleo banana bread recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free, you’ll hardly notice the difference because it’s just that good!
Plus, the bananas help the loaf retain its moisture, even after sitting on the counter for a few days (wrapped, of course).
Enjoy it all by itself or slather it with almond butter. Either way, enjoy it knowing that you are enjoying a treat that won’t compromise your healthy eating goals!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Mashed bananas
- Eggs – If you need an egg-free alternative, consider using a vegan egg replacer. Or, make a flax egg by combining 1 tablespoon of ground flaxmeal with 3 tablespoons of water for every egg in the recipe.
- Coconut sugar – This paleo-friendly sugar substitute is made from the sap of coconut palm tree blossoms, not coconuts themselves. It measures cup for cup to refined white sugar, making it easier to use than other paleo-friendly substitutes like Stevia.
- Coconut oil – Be sure to melt the coconut oil before using it
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Almond flour – This flour is great alternative for high starch gluten flour. If you have a nut allergy, consider using cassava flour. It is grain-free, nut-free, and paleo-compliant.
- Coconut flour – While there are no perfect substitutes for coconut flour, unsweetened, plain flavored protein powder does have some of the same characteristics.
- Arrowroot powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
How to Make Paleo Banana Bread
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- Combine dry ingredients.
First, place the wet ingredients into a large mixing bowl and the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Use a wire whisk to mix the dry ingredients together and break up any large clumps.
- Combine wet ingredients.
Beat the wet ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth. Alternatively, you can do this using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Mix to combine.
Use the hand mixer (or stand mixer) again to blend the wet and dry ingredients together, until just combined.
TIP: To prevent the bread from being dense and dry, avoid over mixing. However, the batter should be smooth with no flour streaks.
- Add batter to pan and bake.
Next, pour the banana bread batter into a greased loaf pan. Use a spatula to scrape all the batter out of the bowl and smooth it into the pan.
Bake the banana bread for just under an hour. Then, use a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf to make sure the bread is cooked all the way through.
NOTE: Your bread won’t have the typical domed and cracked top like quick breads made with all-purpose flour. This isn’t a cause for concern; it’s perfectly normal.
Allow the banana bread to sit in the pan for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Otherwise, it may crumble when you try to remove it. When it cools a bit more, slice and enjoy it while it’s still warm!
For another low-carb recipe try this keto pie crust!
Mix-ins: Add things like chopped nuts or dairy-free chocolate chips for more texture and flavor.
Storage: This bread will last for a few days covered at room temperature, or up to a week in the refrigerator.
Freezing: Wrap the loaf tightly with plastic wrap, then place in a freezer-safe storage bag. It should keep well frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for a few hours prior to eating it.
Easy snacking: Freeze individual slices to grab as needed, which will also help the loaf last longer.
More Paleo Recipes to Try:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you try this recipe please leave me a comment and star-rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Paleo Banana Bread
- 1 cup mashed banana about 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mix-ins walnuts, chocolate chips, etc.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, add the wet ingredients. Mix together using a hand mixer until smooth. In a medium bowl, mix together the wet ingredients. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth, about 1 minutes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake for 50-55 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and cool completely. Enjoy!
This post was originally published on 2/18/2013. It was republished with new photos and instructions 6/23/2020.