If you’ve noticed a lack of new recipes on my blog lately it’s because I have been working on a new design for my site!
Luckily, I have an in-house computer expert (my husband) who has lead up the redesign. But like many projects, it turned out to be a little more time intensive than we originally thought! That being said the redesign is almost done and I’m excited to share it with you all.
Thanks for reading and for your support/comments. I read every single one and it makes me happy when I can make gluten-free life a little more delicious for someone.
Speaking of delicious, these fresh raspberry coconut macaroons are the perfect treat for Mother’s Day.
I get so excited this time of year when berries come back into the picture. I think fresh raspberries are the perfect tart addition to the otherwise very sweet coconut macaroon.
And we all know how wonderfully fresh raspberries and dark chocolate pair, so these little beauties are just a match meant to be.
I used unsweetened coconut for this recipe and sweetened it up myself with some honey. These are so delicious, you would never guess they are refined-sugar-free. I like just barely mixing the raspberries in once the coconut mixture is made so the macaroons have a swirled and almost confetti-like look to them.
I made mine quite large so each one seemed more like an individual cookie.
They would also be wonderful (maybe even better) smaller and more bite-sized for a party.
As evidenced with this recipe, dipping things in chocolate is not one of my strengths. I found slattering a good spoonful of melted chocolate onto the bottom of each macaroon to be a great solution.
These gluten-free and relatively guilt-free macaroons really are the perfect combination of flavors. They are sure to please the mother in your life!
Fresh raspberry coconut macaroons smothered in dark chocolate.
- 3 1/4 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (about 9 oz.)
- 1 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 pint of raspberries (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pulse the shredded coconut, honey, almond extract, vanilla, salt, and egg whites in the bowl of a food processor until a smooth paste forms. About 5 pulses.
- Add the flaked coconut and raspberries and pulse once or twice so the raspberries are broken down but not fully incorporated. Using a cookie scoop, scoop the mixture (getting some white and some pink in each ball) onto the lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned. Let the macaroons cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate on medium heat in the microwave or in a double boiler. Spoon a little chocolate onto the bottom of each macaroon and place back onto the parchment lined sheet. Put the macaroons in the refrigerator until the chocolate has cooled. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8-10
recipe inspired by smitten kitchen
I love this sneaky little hand!
This was totally a candidate shot when my 2-year-old
couldn’t resist watching me photography these anymore 😉