All my favorite ingredients in traditional salad nicoise tossed in a fresh herb vinaigrette.
Fresh Herb Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons of red or white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Italian flat left parsley
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- 4 large eggs
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 4 handfuls of green beans
- 2 containers of tuna
- 8 ounces of mesclun, or greens of your choice
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives, or whatever olives you like
- For the dressing:Process shallot, garlic, mustard, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in blender until shallot and garlic are finely chopped, about 15 seconds.
- Add basil and parsley and blend till smooth. With blender running slowly pour in the oil and blend until emulsified, about 15 seconds.
- For the salad: Place eggs in medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to boil over high heat. As soon as water boils, remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Drain hot water and crack the egg shells. Then pour in ice water and chill for 5 minutes, peel and quarter. (This ice water trick makes it so easy to peel the eggs!)
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. About 15-20 minutes until they pierce easily. Drain potatoes and transfer to a bowl. Toss with 1/4 cup of the fresh herb vinaigrette.
- Place a steamer basket in a large pot and bring water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until they are bright green and just tender, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer beans to bowl with potatoes and toss to combine.
- Toss 1/4 cups of the vinaigrette with tuna, gently flaking apart with a fork. Toss greens with vinaigrette until lightly coated and divide amongst individual plates. Arrange potatoes and beans, tuna, eggs, tomatoes, and olives over greens.
- Serving Size: 4