This smoothie is one of my favorite things to have after a workout or long run. Coconut water is from young, green coconuts and is a great natural source of electrolytes, including sodium and potassium.
My favorite part about coconut water is that is tastes divine! It is slightly sweet and very refreshing. Move over gatorade!
Our muscles need protein after working out to help them build and recover. Rather than protein bars and drinks, I like using whole foods to get my protein wherever possible.
It is best to get some protein within 30-60 minutes of working out. I love going to power-pump classes at the gym and this smoothie is the perfect thing to make after. I
t keeps me going for hours and best of all – tastes like a strawberry milkshake. Just remember to soak the almonds overnight the day before!
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds or chia seeds
- 2 cups coconut water
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/3 cup ice
- Soak the almonds overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Drain and rinse the almonds. Place the almonds, hemp seeds, and coconut water in a high-speed blender and blend on very high speed, for about 2 minutes until the almonds and hemp seeds are completely dissolved in the coconut water. I push the “whole juice” button on my blender twice.
- Add the strawberries, banana, and ice and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Serving Size: 2