Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Praline Topping! A FAVORITE Thanksgiving side dish every year. A gluten-free, dairy-free holiday side everyone will love!
For the filling:
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 egg
For the topping:
- 1 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, in solid form
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into large 2-inch chunks. Place the chunks in a large saucepan and cover with cold water, bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer until the sweet potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a quart-size casserole dish. In a bowl, combine the pecans, flour, sugar, salt, and vanilla, Cut in the butter or oil with a fork until the mixture is sandy with pea-sized chunks of butter. Set aside.
- When done cooking, drain the sweet potatoes well. Process the sweet potatoes in a food processor until smooth and creamy. You may have to do this in batches. Alternatively you can whip them up with a hand or stand mixer. Measure out 3 cups of the mashed sweet potatoes and place into the bowl of a stand mixer or bowl to use with a hand mixer. Any extras make a yummy snack for later!
- Add the coconut milk, maple syrup, butter or oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt to the bowl. Whip to combine. Add the egg and continue to whip until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the sweet potatoes into the prepared dish and top with the pecan mixture. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden and the sweet potatoes are bubbling. Enjoy!
I usually use the brand King Arthur Flour or Better Batter for all-purpose flour. You can use your own favorite mix or whatever you have on hand for this. The only kind I don’t recommend is a bean flour based all purpose blend.
This is a great make-ahead dish. You can prepare the sweet potato base and pour it into the baking dish. Keep the prepared topping in a separate container. Store everything in the refrigerator. When ready to bake cover the sweet potatoes with the topping and bake as directed.
- Serving Size: 8