Thai Chicken & Sweet Potato Mason Jar Salads! Easy, delicious and prep for meal prep for the week.
Are you into meal prep? It is a whole new world to me and I’m loving it! My husband and I have been trying to get better at prepping healthy lunches at the beginning of the week so we can eat healthier on busy weekdays.
These Thai Chicken & Sweet Potato Mason Jar Salads are our favorite salads to make-ahead! The flavors are out-of-this-world delicious thanks to a delicious Almond Butter Thai Dressing. These salads also have grilled or sauteed curried chicken, sauteed sweet potatoes, red cabbage, thinly sliced cucumber, unsweetened shredded coconut and greens. This combination makes for one colorful and satisfying salad!
I actually had a salad very similar to this at an airport of all places and it was so good I wanted to recreate it at home- mason jar style!
The trick with mason jar salads is to put the dressing at the bottom, followed by the protein or sturdy vegetables that won’t get wilted. The delicate greens are added last so they stay fresh and crisp away from the dressing.
I like to make these salads in wide-mouth mason jars with these plastic lids. One you’ve made the salads they will keep for up to 4 days so lunch is ready to go. Just empty the salad out onto a plate and mix everything with the dressing to serve.
Perfect for my husband to grab on his way out the door to work – and perfect for me to be able to eat lunch with 2 little boys running around!
More Chicken Recipes:
Slow-Cooker Moroccan Chicken easy, healthy and delicious served over quinoa.
Sticky Chicken a long-time family favorite! My kids love this recipe.
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Thai Chicken Sweet Potato Mason Jar Salads
For the Chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in half to make 4 thin chicken breasts (or 3-4 chicken breast filets)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or cooking oil of choice
- curry powder
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 1 large sweet potato, shredded
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil, or cooking oil of choice
- salt & pepper
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari, gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 2/3 cup olive oil
For the Salads:
- thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- mixed greens
- For the Chicken: Heat the avocado oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the chicken with salt, pepper and curry powder. Cook the chicken on each side for 4-5 minutes, until cooked through. Let cool, then slice into thin strips.
- For the Sweet Potatoes: Heat the avocado oil in a medium skillet over medium heat (I like to use cast iron or non-stick for this). Add the sweet potatoes, season with salt and pepper and cook for 7-9 minutes until soft, stirring often.
- For the dressing: Place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a small food processor. Process until smooth. With the processor running, slowly add the olive oil until incorporated. Alternatively you can add all the ingredients to a jar and shake to combine.
- To Assemble the salads: Divide the salad dressing up evenly between 4 large mason jars. Divide the chicken up and add on top of the dressing. Add the vegetables in this order: sweet potatoes, red cabbage, coconut, cucumbers, greens.
- Add lids (I like these plastic mason jar lids) and refrigerate for up to 4 days. To serve simply pour the salad onto a plate and mix with the dressing. Enjoy!
Try these Healthy Mason Jar Taco Salads from Food Faith Fitness for another great make-ahead lunch!