Mediterranean Salad with Grilled Chicken
This Mediterranean salad has a tangy dressing that's also an easy marinade for grilled chicken. Make this recipe for a flavorful summer meal.
Servings 4 servings
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon EACH dried basil, sugar, salt
- ½ teaspoon EACH cumin, onion powder, paprika, black pepper
For the Salad:
- 2-3 chicken breasts sliced horizontally
- 2 English or Hot House cucumbers peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups baby arugula
- ¼ red onion very thinly sliced (I like to soak these in red wine vinegar for 30 minutes before adding them to the salad)
- ½ cup kalamata olives halved
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
Mix together all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and set aside.
Place the chicken in a ziploc bag and pour over half of the dressing mixture. (Reserve the other half for dressing the salad.) Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
While the chicken marinades you can prepare the rest of the ingredients for the salad. This is also a good time to pickle the onions if you like.
TO GRILL: Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken for 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board then tent the chicken with foil and let rest for at least 5 minutes.TO COOK IN A SKILLET: Alternatively, you can cook the chicken in a skillet. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, followed by the chicken. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes until cooked through.
Toss all the remaining ingredients for the salad together. Slice the chicken and add to the salad. Shake the dressing and add just enough to to the salad. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Omit the feta cheese. It will still have lots of flavor!
English cucumbers – Also known as hot house or European, these cucumbers have thinner skin and are often seedless. Traditional cucumbers are fine, but you may want to remove the seeds from them.
TO PICKLE THE ONIONS:
- Cut ¼ of a large red onion into thin slices and place them into a quart size mason jar or zip top bag.
- Then, cover the onion with red wine vinegar, seal the jar or bag, and refrigerate until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 711mg | Potassium: 717mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 548IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 148mg | Iron: 2mg