Pumpkin Rice Pudding
This pumpkin rice pudding is creamy and lightly spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg. It makes a cozy and comforting fall or holiday dessert!
Servings 6 servings
- ¾ cup white basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups cold water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 cups half-and-half divided
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- ¾ cup pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup optional - or 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the rice, water and salt. Bring it to a boil, stir once, the reduce to a simmer on the lowest heat and cover. Simmer covered for 8 minutes.
Stir in 4 cups of half-and-half along with the sugar. Simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is very soft, stirring often.
Once the rice is totally soft, slowly stir in the beaten egg followed by the pumpkin, maple syrup and spices. Cook for another 1 minute then remove from the heat.
Add the remaining cup of half-and-half and vanilla. Stir well. Pour into a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap. Serve warm or chilled.
- Storage and reheating - Keep covered in the refrigerator and use within 4 days for best results. To reheat, warm in the microwave or on the stove with a little extra half and half as needed.
- Freezing - This pumpkin rice pudding will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. However, the sooner you eat it the better will taste. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and give it a good stir before serving. You may need to add a little more half and half to loosen it up.
Calories: 363kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 1988IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 228mg | Iron: 1mg