The Best Sloppy Joes (Gluten-Free)
The BEST gluten-free sloppy joe recipe that's not only delicious, but also quick and easy to make! Made with real ingredients instead of canned sauce. Make this recipe for a crowd-pleasing dinner any night!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 ½ pounds ground beef or turkey
- ⅔ cup bbq sauce be sure it is gluten-free, I like Stubbs
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce be sure it is gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 gluten-free buns
In a large dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil and chopped onion. Saute until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
Add the meat and cook, stirring and breaking it up until it is finely ground. Cook until browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the grease off the meat and vegetables.
Stir in the bbq sauce, ketchup, tamari, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, soy sauce and ½ teaspoon ground pepper. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until thickened.
Serve over toasted buns. Enjoy!
Whenever I make these sloppy joes I double the recipe and freeze a meal for later.
- BBQ Sauce: Pick a BBQ sauce that is labeled certified gluten-free. The most common brands you can find are Stubbs or Sweet Baby Rays. I prefer Stubbs original for these sloppy joes.
- Tamari: AKA gluten-free soy sauce. Tamari is made with 100% soy beans rather than a mixture of wheat and soy beans.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Lea & Perrins brand is labeled gluten-free and is a good option.
- Ketchup: I've never seen a brand of ketchup that isn't gluten-free so most any kind will work. I use the kind from Trader Joe's to avoid HFCS.
- To Freeze: Cool in the refrigerator before transferring to a ziploc freezer bag to freeze.
- To Reheat: Thaw in the fridge overnight then reheat, or defrost in the microwave until heated through.
Calories: 388kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 1156mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 257IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg