Dairy-Free Spinach Artichoke Dip
This dairy-free spinach artichoke dip is rich, creamy and flavorful! Made with a mix of caramelized onions, artichoke hearts and dairy-free cream cheese, it's sure to be a crowd favorite.
Servings 10 servings
For the Cashew Parmesan (Optional but delicious!):
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
For the Spinach Artichoke Dip:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 8 ounces dairy-free cream cheese I use Kite Hill almond milk cream cheese
- ½ cup mayonnaise preferably Hellmann’s
- 1 12-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
MAKE THE CASHEW PARMESAN:
In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the cashews, nutritional yeast, sea salt and garlic powder until finely ground. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several weeks.
MAKE THE SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP:
Preheat the oven to 400F. In a large pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, 1 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Saute for 10 minutes then reduce the heat to low. Continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions and browned and caramelized. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, in the bowl of a hand or stand mixer, place the dairy-free cream cheese, mayonnaise, ½ cup cashew parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix until smooth.
Squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible then add to the cream cheese mixture along with the artichoke hearts. Mix to evenly combine. Stir in the onions.
Transfer the mixture to a 11x8 inch oval (or 9x13 rectangle) baking dish. Sprinkle with ½ cup of the cashew parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned and bubbling. Serve warm with tortilla chips, bread or vegetables. Enjoy!
- Cashew Parmesan:You can skip the dairy-free parmesan if you like! It's optional but delicious.
- Thinly sliced yellow onions: You’ll caramelize the onions for maximum flavor.
- Dairy-free cream cheese: My favorite brand is Kite Hill.
- Mayonnaise: I prefer Hellmann’s mayonnaise. If you want this recipe to be egg-free as well, use a vegan mayonnaise.
- Marinated artichoke hearts: These come in a jar by the canned food. Using marinated artichoke hearts rather than frozen or canned gives this dip great flavor.
- Frozen Spinach: It’s important to squeeze out as much liquid as possible from the spinach.
- Make-Ahead: This whole dip can be assembled up to 2 days in advance. You can bake it directly from the fridge until hot and bubbly.
- Storage: Store any leftover dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat the dip in the microwave for a minute or so before eating.
Calories: 165kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 28IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 5mg | Iron: 1mg