Best Potato Salad Recipe
The BEST ever potato salad! Everyone always asks for this recipe. Such a crowd-pleaser! The trick that makes this potato salad extra delicious is mixing the warm potatoes with a vinegar/salt/sugar mixture. This helps the flavor to go inside the potatoes, making this potato salad extra flavorful!
Servings 6 -8 servings
- 2 ½ pounds red-skin potatoes cut in half and into ½-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3-4 hard boiled eggs diced
- ½ cup celery diced (including some of the inner leaves for flavor)
- 3 green onions thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- ¼ cup sweet pickles diced
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Generously salt the water and add the cut potatoes. Boil until fork tender for about 15-20 minutes, checking every couple minutes towards the end of cooking. Drain the potatoes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the white wine vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar. Pour the warm potatoes into the vinegar mixture and gently mix with a rubber spatula to combine.
Whisk together the mayonnaise and sour cream. Pour over the potatoes and gently fold in.
Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours. Enjoy!
MAKE-IT DAIRY-FREE: This potato salad also turns out delicious if you use additional mayonnaise in place of the sour cream.
- Cut the potatoes in ½-1 inch chunks before cooking. Don't cut them any smaller or they will absorb too much water.
- Generously season the water you boil the potatoes in with salt. This is key to great flavor!
- Toss the hot potatoes in the vinegar/sugar/seasoning mixture. Wait to fold in the sour cream/mayo mixture until the potatoes have fully cooled.
- Use a mixture of sour cream + mayo for extra creaminess
- Let the potato sit for at least 30 minutes, preferably 2 hours for the flavors to meld. The potato salad is best eaten within 8 hours of making it.
Serving: 8g | Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 111mg | Sodium: 429mg | Potassium: 963mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 17.8mg | Calcium: 64mg | Iron: 1.8mg