I made this for dinner last night and it was so delicious, I knew I had to share the recipe right away. My husband and 2-year-old loved it and both went back for seconds. I love a good meal that my boys devour.
That is one of the reasons I love cooking so much! It is all about taking care of the people we love.
It makes me happy to create delicious, healthy, and gluten-free meals that help me and others do just that. And if we’re being honest the other big reason is just because I love to eat!
This meal is a win-win-win as far as I’m concerned. It is most importantly so delicious!
The chicken and rice are simmered in a flavorful mixture of peppers, garlic, onions and spicy sauce. With a mix in of fresh cilantro and spinach before serving, it is bursting with flavor. It is also a one-pan meal, and who doesn’t love that. I am forever scarred by living in dishwasher-less apartments in college. Long live one pan meals!
You can make this dish with either brown or white rice. I love the nutty texture and flavor of brown rice with all the spices, but you can easily make it with white rice for a quick 30-minute meal. I’ve included instructions for both.
I hope your family enjoys this as much as we did!
Skillet Chicken with Mexican Green Rice
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 or 3 pieces each
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped (about ½ an onion)
- ½ cup poblano pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (about 1 poblano pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 3 cups chicken stock or broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves, (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, or Pepper Jack for a spicier option
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet (that has a tight-fitting lid) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, 2-3 minutes per side. You may have to do this in 2 batches. You don't want to cook the chicken all the way through here. Just give it some color! Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion and poblano to the now empty skillet. Add a touch more oil if necessary. Add a bit of salt and pepper and saute until softened, 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds. Add the cumin, salt, salsa verde, chicken stock, and rice and stir to combine. Nestle the chicken back into the rice mixture.
- Place a lid on top then turn heat down to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove pot from the heat then let sit with the lid on for 5 minutes. Fluff rice and chicken then cilantro, spinach and cheese and stir. Let dish sit for 3-4 minutes to thicken and then serve.