The Best Gluten-Free Banana Bread! EASY to make with perfect texture and delicious flavor! Sure to become your go-to gluten-free banana bread recipe!
The Best Gluten-Free Banana Bread
Is there anything better than a piece of warm banana bread slathered in butter? Dreamy. Everyone needs a go-to banana bread recipe!
Since going gluten-free I have tried a TON of banana bread recipes. Over the years I’ve decided my Mom’s recipe from growing up – tweaked to be made gluten-free – is my very favorite.
It is moist with the perfect amount of sweetness and banana flavor. Not to mention an ideal texture that is not crumbly, mushy or gummy like gluten-free baked goods can often be. Whenever I have brown bananas on my counter this is hands down my favorite thing to make!
This recipe has a few tricks so you get soft, moist, easy-to-slice and completely delicious gluten-free banana bread every time.
How to Make Gluten-Free Banana Bread
When it comes to gluten-free baking I’ve learned a few tricks over the years. Lately I’ve been loving using King Arthur Flour Measure-for-Measure Flour in gluten-free recipes (not sponsored – just my favorite!).
This banana bread has one unusual ingredient – palm shortening. Palm shortening (or regular shortening if you prefer) gives this banana bread an irresistible crumb and texture. A tub of palm shortening will keep at room temperature in your pantry for many months. I always keep a tub of it around to make this banana bread when we have brown bananas! The palm shortening helps this loaf turn out easy-to-slice and cooked all the way through.
This banana bread is such a great base recipe! I love it a classic banana bread loaf, but if you want to add in mix-ins go for it! You can add 1/2 cup of the following:
- chocolate chips
- chopped walnuts
- chopped pecans
My kids are a huge fan of making this banana bread an extra special treat with the additional of chocolate chips. This recipe also doubles great. It takes about 2 1/2 bananas per loaf. So if you have 5 over-ripe bananas sitting around make two loaves! Nobody at my house complains when I do that!
Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe
– Good quality gluten-free all-purpose flour blend: Use one that contains xanthan gum. I like this King Arthur Flour Measure-for-Measure Flour in gluten-free recipes (not sponsored – just my favorite!)
– Almond flour: Add a little almond flour for delicious flavor and browning
– Palm shortening: Palm shortening (or regular shortening if you prefer) gives this banana bread an irresistible crumb and texture
– A splash of milk: A few tablespoons of milk (or almond milk) help keep this banana bread perfectly moist
– Mix-ins!: Add any mix-ins like chocolate chips, nuts or blueberries that you like! The possibilities are endless. You can use up to 3/4 cup of any mix-in.
The Best Gluten-Free Banana Bread! EASY to make with perfect texture and delicious flavor!
- 1 cup gluten-free 1-to-1 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening (I use palm shortening)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (or regular milk)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2-3 bananas)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, pecans, blueberries or chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Mash the bananas together in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, add the shortening and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy and combined. Add the eggs, vanilla and almond milk and beat for 1-2 minutes until light and combined.
Add the 1/2 the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Add half the bananas and mix to combine. Repeat with the other 1/2 dry ingredients and bananas. (Adding them alternately helps the batter hydrate.) Fold in any mix-ins with a spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Cool for five minutes in the pan. Gently turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely. Enjoy! Store covered at room temperature.