Today I am sharing one of my very favorite recipes with you! My sister-in-law made these chicken fajitas for us awhile back and they have become one of my go-to recipes.
This is one of those recipes that is so delicious, it always gets passed to everyone you make them for. They are also incredibly easy to make, which is huge a plus.
The marinate for these fajitas has the perfect balance of flavors. It has a secret ingredient (gluten-free soy sauce) that nobody would ever suspect in a Mexican-style dish.
I am crazy about peppers and onions, so I have long been a fajita-lover. The peppers and onions in this dish soak up those wonderful flavors from the marinated chicken which is divine.
I remember when I first found out I had to eat gluten-free, a friend of mine who’s husband also has to eat gluten-free told me that they eat a lot of Mexican food.
Mexican food really is great as most of it is naturally gluten-free! I have always preferred corn tortillas to flour and they are pretty interchangeable.
I love serving these fajitas with avocado and crumbled feta cheese. Feta cheese reminds me of the popular
Mexican cheese queso fresco that I love, but I always seem to have feta on hand. These fajitas would really be great with any of your favorite toppings though! Enjoy!Print
My absolute favorite chicken fajitas! The marinade for these is the best.
You can use the marinade for flank steak as well. Sometimes I do both chicken and beef and grill the meat. If you’re going that route, leave the chicken and steak whole and reserve some of the marinade for the vegetables in a separate container. Cook the vegetables in a pan and grill the meat. Then slice and serve. Yum!
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup gluten-free soy sauce (can sub coconut aminos)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
For the Fajitas:
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinate together in a large ziploc bag or shallow dish. Add the sliced chicken and mix to coat it evenly. Marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 12 hours.
- Heat a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the chicken and all the marinate to the skillet and sautee for 3-4 minutes, bringing the sauce to a full boil.
- Add the sliced onions, peppers, and tomatoes and cook until they are just tender.
- Serve on corn tortillas with your favorite toppings. My favorite toppings are avocado, feta cheese (or queso fresco), and salsa. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4