Easy, homemade gluten-free mac and cheese that is ready to go in about 20 minutes from start to finish. It’s perfectly creamy, cheesy and delicious.
Serve this as stovetop mac and cheese – or top it with more cheese and pop it in the oven for a baked gluten-free macaroni and cheese!
There are few things better than a warm bowl of creamy homemade mac and cheese. I’m here to tell you it’s easy to make gluten-free and well worth the effort.
This gluten-free mac and cheese only takes 20 minutes to make and is way better than any boxed option out there. I almost always have everything to make it on hand and it’s one of my kid’s favorite dinners!
Ingredients You’ll Need
This gluten-free mac and cheese has a creamy homemade bechamel sauce as a base. That might sound fancy but it’s really simple to make! Here are a few notes on the ingredients:
- Gluten-Free Pasta: My favorite brand of pasta is Jovial Foods, but you can use any brand of gluten-free pasta in this recipe.
- Milk: I prefer this sauce made with whole milk (we love A2 whole milk!) but it also works with 2% milk.
- Cheeses: You can swap in other cheeses for the cheddar and parmesan if you like! I also like using part gruyere cheese.
- Mustard Powder: Adds a yummy flavor to the sauce!
How to Make Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
- To start – boil some water and cook the pasta according to package instructions in salted water. While the pasta cooks make the sauce.
- I like to start by microwaving the milk. You want to add warm milk to the sauce so it turns out smooth. Cold milk will cause the flour to clump up.
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the flour and cook for a few minutes to get the raw flour taste out of the mixture.
- Whisk in the warm milk, stirring constantly until it has all been added.
Tip: Use warm milk rather than cold to make the sauce so the flour doesn’t clump up when you add it.
- Next whisk in the seasonings then add the cheese.
- Stir until smooth and melted, then add the pasta. Mix until combined and serve!
For Baked Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
This recipe works well as a quick and easy stovetop mac and cheese, and also as a baked dish. Baked mac and cheese makes a great side dish for so many meals!
Preheat the oven to 325F and pour the mac and cheese into a baking dish. Top it with a little more cheese (I like to use a combination of cheddar/parmesan) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Storage: This macaroni and cheese is best the day it’s made. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Make Ahead as a Baked Side: To make the mac and cheese in advance, prepare it according to the recipe and spread it into a baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day before baking. Top it with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes at 325F.
More Gluten-Free Dishes to Try:
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you try it be sure to leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to package instructions. Microwave the milk for 1 minute until it is slightly warm.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a skillet or pot over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the milk. Continue to whisk until smooth until all the milk has been added.
- Stir in the salt, mustard powder and cayenne. Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 more minutes. Stir in cheddar and parmesan, stirring constantly until all of the cheese has melted into the sauce.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cooked pasta. Season to taste with more salt and pepper if needed. Serve hot and enjoy!