These soft & chewy gluten-free oatmeal scotchies cookies are loaded with butterscotch chips in every bite. They’re soft in the middle and crisp on the edges with a delicious buttery flavor. Nobody will guess these cookies are gluten-free!
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies
I love a good oatmeal scotchie cookie! Take a chewy classic oatmeal cookies and add butterscotch chips and you’ve got an irresistable combination. For this recipe I use the base cookie recipe from my gluten-free oatmeal cookies (my husband’s all-time favorite cookies!) and tweak it a little to turn the cookies into scotchies.
The addition of butterscotch chips adds a delicious caramel flavor to the buttery oatmeal cookies. These cookies are soft on the inside and crisp on the edges. Nobody will be able to tell they are gluten-free!
How to Make Oatmeal Scotchies
- WET INGREDIENTS: Start by mixing together the butter, coconut oil and sugars. Then add the vanilla and egg and mix to combine.
- DRY INGREDIENTS: Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- OTHER INGREDIENTS: Add the oats and butterscotch chips and mix to combine.
- REST THE DOUGH: Let the dough sit in the fridge for one hour.
- BAKE! Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes.
It is very important to let this dough sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour before baking. This allows the cookie dough to absorb the gluten-free flours so the cookies won’t have a grainy taste. It also allows the butter and coconut oil to solidify so the cookies won’t spread too much during baking.
Tip: Letting the dough rest for 1 hour in the fridge makes all the difference in these cookies.
Are butterscotch chips gluten-free?
Not all butterscotch chips are gluten-free. Some contain a natural flavor derived from barely malt. Barely is a gluten-containing grain so butterscotch chips with this natural flavor are not gluten-free.
Be sure to check the label of whatever chips you use. Nestle Butterscotch chips are NOT gluten-free. I use Guittard butterscotch chips in this recipe because I like their flavor.
More Gluten-Free Cookie Recipes:
I hope you love these cookies as much as we do! If you try the recipe, I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment below. Thank you! ♥
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Gluten-Free Oatmeal Scotchies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer, combine the butter, coconut oil, brown sugar and white sugar. Beat until smooth and fully incorporated. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat on medium until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl. Mix until fully incorporated. Add the oats and butterscotch chips and mix on low until combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Scoop out 2 tablespoon-size rounds and bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Enjoy!
Originally Published in July 2013