This weekend I went on a little getaway with my best girlfriends from college. We all haven’t been together in 5 years! Seven of us flew from all over the country to the ranch where my friend Jessica grew up, just outside of Yosemite National Park. The weekend was full of catching up, laughing until we cried, and eating lots of good food. It was so great to see my best friends! Girls weekends are just good for the soul.
The whole trip friends were so great about eating gluten-free meals and having gluten-free snacks with me. One of my favorite treats we ate by the pool one day was a bag of Gluten-Free Crispy Chocolate Chip Cookies from Trader Joe’s. I was reminded how much I love a good, buttery gluten-free cookie!
I was also reminded how much I miss Trader Joe’s! We are moving to San Diego at the end of August and I can’t wait to live by Trader Joe’s again. It really is one of my happy places.
These oatmeal scothchies also fit the ticket for a good, buttery gluten-free cookie! They are just as great as the cookies I remember from growing up. Toasty oats with sweet butterscotch chips in a soft, yet crispy cookie really make an amazing combination. You would never know these cookies are gluten-free!
I love bringing treats like this to parties or get togethers and never mentioning a word about them being gluten-free, unless people ask. In the words of Julia Child “Never Apologize!” My version of this is “never apologize for gluten-free baked goods!” Enjoy!
Toasty oats with sweet butterscotch chips in a soft, yet crispy cookie make an amazing combination. An old favorite made gluten-free!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening (or coconut oil)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup All Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill here)
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free Oats
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips (Be sure they are gluten-free! Not all are.)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the dry ingredients except the oats and butterscotch chips.
- Using a mixer, cream together the sugars, butter, and shortening. Add the egg, vanilla, and water and blend until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and blend until combine.
- Stir in the oats and butterscotch chips. Scoop rounded balls of dough onto the cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly. Bake for 9-11 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool slightly – enjoy!
This dough can be formed into balls and frozen. To bake cookies the directly from the freezer and just add 2 minutes onto the cook time.