I love healthy, gluten/dairy-free slow-cooker recipes that I know my family will be excited about when dinner time rolls around. This Slow-Cooker Moroccan Apricot Chicken and Carrots is just that. Easy, healthy and so delicious!
The chicken gets fall-apart tender (but not dry thanks to chicken thighs!) and the carrots are soft and flavorful from all the spices. My son Scott and I share a love for “slow-cooker carrots” as he calls them. Is there anything better? My kids also love that this meal includes apricots and cherries atop the chicken and carrots. They add the perfect sweetness to balance out all the flavors.
We love this over cooked quinoa for a healthy, comforting dinner. The leftovers from this also freeze great! Some of my other slow-cooker favorites include this Pot Roast with Porcini Mushroom Gravy (perfect for Sunday dinner!) and these Slow-Cooker Mexican Pinto Beans (I use them in so many things!).
I have a lot of recipes on my blog, but this chicken and those 2 recipes are some that I make all the time. I keep an ongoing list of my very favorite recipes on this favorites page!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- salt & pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teapoon brown sugar (or coconut sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1/2 the chicken thighs and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes. The chicken doesn't need to be cooked through, just browned on the outside for flavor. Transfer the chicken to the slow-cooker then repeat with the remaining chicken thighs.
- Over medium heat, add the sliced onions to the now-empty skillet. Cook, scraping up the brown bits off the bottom of the pan until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken stock and scrap the bottom of the pan. Whisk in the almond butter and salt, sugar and spices.
- Add the onion/stock mixture to the slow-cooker. Stir to combine then place the carrots on top. Cook for 4 hours on low.
- After 4 hours, add the apricots and cherries and cook for another 1-2 hours.
- Shred the meat slightly and serve over cooked quinoa. Enjoy!
*MAKE IT NUT-FREE: Omit the almond butter.
Leftovers from this meal freezer great. Defrost in the fridge overnight or microwave at 50% power until hot.