Gluten-Free Flatbread! Amazing pockless pita or naan – perfect for wrapping, dipping or as an accompaniment to your favorite meal. Simple to make!
When you’re gluten-free, delicious pita, naan or flatbread can be hard to come by. But sometimes you just need something bready to wrap up greek chicken or dip in Indian curry dishes. This gluten-free flatbread is the answer!
I’ve been testing gluten-free flatbread recipes on and off for awhile and this recipe is the BEST! It is easy to make and contains simple ingredients. It also holds together and rolls out beautifully – which can’t be said for all gluten-free bread-like doughs.
How to Make Gluten-Free Flatbread
I love this flatbread recipe because it is really versatile. You can use it to make pockless pita for sandwiches or grilled chicken. It also works great as naan to serve with your favorite curries.
Sometimes I’ll add a little garlic and coriander to the dough if I’m making naan. It’s also divine brushed with butter!
This flatbread freezes great and can be easily reheated in the microwave. My kids love making flatbread pizzas on these right out of the freezer. Just defrost the flatbread in the microwave.
Then top with your favorite sauce and toppings and broil until hot and bubbly. It’s a delicious and easy way to make gluten-free pizza!
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Flatbread, Naan or Pita
Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour + Almond Flour: These recipe is really versatile and will work with a variety of gluten-free all-purpose flour blends. I like to use King Arthur Flour 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Flour (not sponsored – just my favorite!). A little almond flour gives the flatbread great flavor and helps the dough to brown while cooking.
Baking Powder + Apple Cider Vinegar: These are two things you won’t find in traditional naan or flatbread recipes. However the combination of baking powder and apple cider vinegar gives this dough a light, airy texture. It’s one of my favorite tricks for getting extra lift in gluten-free baking.
Roll dough out between oiled plastic wrap: Gluten-free bread dough is much stickier than regular bread dough. Rolling the flatbread out between 2 pieces of lightly oiled plastic wrap makes this dough easier to work with.
Cook in a high-quality nonstick pan: I’ve found this flatbread cooks up best when I use a nonstick skillet. The dough is stickier than traditional flatbread dough and the nonstick pan ensures the dough doesn’t get stuck. I’ve used a Scanpan nonstick skilllet for years and I highly recommend it!
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix together the wet ingredients in a glass measuring cup. In the bowl of a stand mixer (you can also use a large bowl with a hand mixer), add all the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dry ingredients on low until evenly combined. With the mixer running on low, slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Increase the speed to medium-high and mix for 4 minutes. The dough should resemble thick cookie dough.
- Using an oiled spatula, form the dough into a ball. Cover and let rise for 35-40 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, lay out 1 large piece of plastic wrap and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Scoop about 1/3 cup of the dough and roll into a ball. Place on the plastic wrap and cover with another sheet of oiled plastic wrap. (see video for tutorial) Roll the dough out to 1/8-1/4 inch thickness in the desired shape/size. The flatbread will thicken slightly as it cooks.
- Preheat a non-stick skillet on high heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove the top piece of plastic wrap and carefully flip the dough onto your hand, then peel off the bottom sheet. Carefully lay the dough in the preheated pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining dough. Keep flatbread warm between two plates or covered in foil before serving. Flatbread can be microwaved for a few seconds to become pliable again if it cools.
- Brush with butter if desired. Enjoy filled with your favorite foods or dipped into a delicious sauce. Flatbread can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.