White Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispies Treats are the perfect easy holiday treat for and take minutes to make.
These Christmas rice krispie treats are perfect for cookie platters, parties and more! Take them to your next holiday party — they’ll disappear quickly!
I love Rice Krispie Treats any time of year, but this variation might just be my favorite – especially during the holiday season! The combination of white chocolate and peppermint is not only delicious, but beautiful and festive.
These Christmas rice krispie treats are an easy treat to make in advance for any holiday event. They’re perfect for Christmas parties, a cookie exchange, dessert platters, and potlucks.
You can also easily make these gluten-free by using gluten-free crispy rice cereal and white chocolate chips. )
For more holiday treats check out these caramels, caramel corn and rolo pretzels.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here are a few notes on the ingredients for this recipe:
- Crispy rice cereal – To keep these delicious treats gluten-free I usually use the kind from Aldi or Malt-o-Meal. Of course regular Rice Krispies work great if you don’t need these to be gluten-free.
- White chocolate chips – I usually use the kind from Trader Joes. Nestle has dairy-free white chocolate chips
- Peppermint candies – I usually buy starlight mints or candy canes, then crush them with a rolling pin
- Peppermint extract – This is not the same as mint extract, which is much more potent. If mint is all you can find, use half of what the recipe calls for, then add more if you need it.
To keep these gluten-free, be sure to use crispy rice cereal that doesn’t contain malt extract (which comes from the gluten-containing grain barley). Check out this post all about gluten-free rice krispies treats.
For more gluten-free treats, check out these gluten-free Christmas cookies, gluten-free sugar cookies and gluten-free molasses cookies.
How to Make Christmas Rice Krispie Treats
Before you get started you’ll want to prepare the pan. I recommend lining the pan with aluminum foil and greasing the foil with cooking spray.
- Start by melting the butter in a large saucepan on LOW HEAT.
- After it melts, then add the mini marshmallows and stir them with a large spoon until they melt.
Tip: I remove the marshmallows from the heat when there are just a few chunks of marshmallow not yet melted. The residual heat will continue to melt them.
- Stir in the peppermint extract and salt first, then add and stir in the crispy rice cereal to the melted marshmallow mixture.
- Lastly you’ll mix in the white chocolate to the cereal mixtures which will turn to slightly melted chocolate from the residual heat.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan. The mixture is very sticky! To help spread it into the pan, you can either butter your hands, or use a silicone spatula or small piece of parchment paper. Also, it will be a little warm at first, so be careful.
- Add crushed peppermint candies over the top. To help them stick, you’ll want to use parchment or wax paper and apply firm pressure to press the candies down into rice krispies treats a bit.
- Cool for 20 minutes, then slice and serve!
Storing Rice Krispie Treats
Store these treats in an airtight container at room temperature. They will keep for up to 2 days.
More CHristmas Treats
I hope these Christmas rice krispie treats bring you holiday cheer! If you like it leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
White Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 10z bags of mini marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 12oz box Crispy Rice Cereal use gluten-free if needed
- 1 11oz package white chocolate chips
- 6 oz crushed peppermint candy or candy canes
- Line a 9×13 pan with foil and spray the foil with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and stir until almost completely melted.
- Remove from the heat (the residual heat will continue to melt the marshmallows) and stir in the peppermint extract and salt. Add the cereal and stir a few times. Add the white chocolate chips and stir until evenly mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the lined pan and smooth the top. Add the crushed peppermint candy and press into the crispy treats. Let cool for 20 minutes. Slice and serve!
Recipe Source: Shared by my friend Brittany from Homegrown Traditions.
I made this recipe but altered it slightly…I did not have any peppermint extract so I melted the crushed candies into the butter along with the white chocolate and marshmallows and added extra crushed candies on top of the crispy treats. It came out excellent. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
Great to know melting the candies worked for you! Glad you enjoyed them! Thanks for the comment.
I needed these to be Kosher so I couldn’t use regular marshmallows. I tried vegan marshmallows and while they tasted great, they were too crumbly. I used marshmallow fluff/cream instead and wow, perfection. My new favorite holiday dessert and so easy! Thank you for this version. I’ll use it every year!
I agree that these definitely work best with non-vegan marshmallows. I’m so glad you enjoyed them! 🙂
These are gone before dinner!! Love the crunch from the peppermint candies & the hint of white chocolate! What a delicious, new way to enjoy rice krispies!
this is amazing and delicious and I love everything about it. it screams christmas time to me! thank you so much for sharing this recipe
One of the easiest holiday treats I’ve tried! White chocolate peppermint rice krispies are so delicious and satisfying! Would love to add this to our cookie platter.
This looks wonderful! Do you have a recommendation for a butter substitute for this recipe for those of us who must be completely dairy free?
You can easily use vegan butter for this! Nestle also makes dairy-free white chocolate chips. I hope this helps!