You only need 5 ingredients to make these simple roasted sweet potatoes! Deliciously seasoned and perfectly caramelized, these baked sweet potatoes are a healthy side that goes with so many meals.
Need a healthy side dish to go with almost any meal! You’re in the right place.
These easy roasted sweet potatoes are the perfect side dish for so many meals. They are easy-to-make and so versatile. You won’t be able to stop making them!
VIDEO: How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
If you like this recipe you also might like these favorite potato recipes!
- Sweet Potato Casserole – A long-time reader favorite!
- Best Homemade Potato Salad – A special trick makes this the potato salad the best.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
When picking out sweet potatoes I like to select the variety that is orange on the inside. These are often called jewel or garnet sweet potatoes or yams.
Sometimes grocery stores label the long, red-skinned sweet potatoes as yams – but they are actually just one of the many kinds of sweet potatoes. For perfect roasted sweet potatoes, look for sweet potatoes that feel firm and have unwrinkled flesh.
The basic recipe for both of these sweet potatoes is the same.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into the desired shape. You can leave the sweet potato skin on if you like, but I prefer peeled.
- Toss with some kind of fat, spices and salt
- Roast at 400F for about 30 minutes until fork tender. Cooking time will vary based on how large your potato pieces are.
TIP: Be sure to chop the sweet potato chunks in roughly the same size so they bake evenly.
How to Season Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Over the years I’ve narrowed down my 2 favorite ways to make sweet potatoes – Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes and Chili-Cumin Sweet Potatoes.
You can use any oil you like to roast these. My personal preference is coconut oil for the cinnamon sweet potatoes and olive oil or avocado oil for a savory side.
Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes – Roasted sweet potatoes always taste delicious with just a touch of sweetness (to enhance the natural sweetness!) and cinnamon. I love cutting sweet potatoes into medallion shapes when I’m this sweet version. Something about the medallion shape makes them magically extra delicious. You can use coconut sugar or brown sugar!
These sweet potatoes are delicious alongside turkey, roast chicken or even Thanksgiving dinner.
Chili Cumin Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes taste amazing with savory spices. I like adding chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and kosher salt for a delicious smoky, garlicky flavor. You can also cut them into longer pieces for sweet potato fries.
These savory sweet potatoes are delicious with bacon and a fried egg for breakfast, alongside salmon, black beans or in meal-prep lunch bowls.
Tips for Baked Sweet Potatoes
Look for sweet potatoes that feel firm and have unwrinkled flesh.
Chop the sweet potatoes in roughly the same size so they bake evenly.
Toss with some kind of fat, salt and spices.
Enjoy with so many different meals!
More Side Dish Recipes
I hope you enjoy these sweet potatoes as much as we do! They make a great addition to so many meals. If you try this sweet potatoes recipe be sure to leave me a comment/rating below!
Easy, Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes:
- 2-3 lbs sweet potatoes sliced into medallions
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Chili-Cumin Sweet Potatoes:
- 2-3 lbs sweet potatoes cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut the sweet potatoes into the desired shape.
- Place the slices in a mound on a baking baking sheet, pour over remaining ingredients then mix every thing together with your hands to evenly coat the slices. Spread the sweet potatoes into an even, single layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Enjoy!