You only need 5 ingredients to make these simple roasted sweet potatoes! Deliciously seasoned and perfectly caramelized, these baked sweet potatoes are a healthy side that goes with so many meals.
Need a healthy side dish to go with almost any meal! You’re in the right place. These easy roasted sweet potatoes are the side dish you won’t be able to stop making. They are easy-to-make and so versatile.
How to Roast Sweet Potatoes
When picking out sweet potatoes I like to select the variety that is orange on the inside. These are often called jewel or garnet sweet potatoes or yams.
Sometimes grocery stores label the long, red-skinned sweet potatoes as yams – but they are actually just one of the many kinds of sweet potatoes. Look for sweet potatoes that feel firm and have unwrinkled flesh.
The method for making both of these sweet potatoes is the same.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into the desired shape
- Toss with some kind of fat, spices and salt
- Roast at 400F for about 30 minutes
TIP: Be sure to chop the sweet potatoes in roughly the same size so they bake evenly.
How to Season Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Over the years I’ve narrowed down my 2 favorite ways to make sweet potatoes – Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes and Chili-Cumin Sweet Potatoes.
Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes – Roasted sweet potatoes always taste delicious with just a touch of sweetness and cinnamon. I love cutting sweet potatoes into medallion shapes when I’m this sweet version. Something about the medallion shape makes them magically extra delicious.
These sweet potatoes are delicious alongside turkey, chicken or even Thanksgiving dinner.
Chili Cumin Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes taste amazing with savory spices.I like adding chili powder, cumin and garlic powder for a delicious smoky, garlicky flavor.
These sweet potatoes are delicious with bacon and a fried egg for breakfast, alongside salmon, or in meal-prep lunch bowls.
Tip: Make sure you have a good silplat liner and sturdy baking sheet for roasting vegetables.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Look for sweet potatoes that feel firm and have unwrinkled flesh.
Chop the sweet potatoes in roughly the same size so they bake evenly.
Toss with some kind of fat, salt and spices.
Enjoy with so many different meals!
MORE POTATO RECIPES:
- Sweet Potato Casserole – A long-time reader favorite!
- Roasted Red Potatoes – from Gluten-Free Palate
- Best Homemade Potato Salad – A special trick makes this the potato salad the best.
Easy, Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Cinnamon Coconut Sugar Sweet Potatoes:
- 2-3 lbs sweet potatoes, sliced into medallions
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Chili-Cumin Sweet Potatoes:
- 2-3 lbs sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut the sweet potatoes into the desired shape.
- Place the slices in a mound on a baking baking sheet, pour over remaining ingredients then mix every thing together with your hands to evenly coat the slices. Spread the sweet potatoes into an even, single layer.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. Enjoy!