I’ve made these pancakes just about every Saturday for the past 2 months! When my 4-year-old goes to bed he always asks me what we’re doing the next day. When I tell him the next day is Saturday he has been saying, “that means chocolate chip pancakes!”
We love, LOVE this recipe. I’ve tweaked it along the way and can now say these are officially our favorite pancakes. (Just fyi, these are our favorite waffles.) This post is going straight into the favorite recipes section. I made these pancakes for a trip with my girlfriends last month. I brought the flour/measured dry ingredients in a double ziploc bag in my suitcase and it was well-worth the effort. These pancakes are gluten-free, but I moreso consider them unique pancakes made with different kinds of flours. Everyone loved them!
I use my grain-free flour blend that I’ve been loving in everything lately. The buckwheat gives the pancakes nice texture, while the almond flour lends a slight nutty flavor. The potato starch and arrowroot powder make these fluffy. Paired with nutritious ground flaxseed and the slight sweetness from applesauce, these pancakes are perfection! We add chocolate chips and bananas to ours. My husband likes them plain best. I bet they would also be fabulous with blueberries. Enjoy!
- 2 cups (280 grams) Erin’s Grain-Free Blend
- 1/4 cup ground golden flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled (or dairy-free butter)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- butter or dairy-free butter for cooking
- Whisk together the dry ingredients until incorporated. In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients, breaking up the egg to totally combine. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a rubber spatula or spoon to totally combine.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add a 1-2 tablespoons of butter and swirl until it sizzles. Scoop out 1/4 cup batter into the hot pan and smooth to flatten slightly with an offset spatula or butter knife. Cook on one side until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- These are best right out of the skillet. Serve with butter and warm maple syrup. Enjoy!
*Erin’s Grain-Free Flour Blend: 30% Almond Flour, 30% Buckwheat Flour, 30% Potato Starch, 10% Arrowroot Powder – More information here
- Serving Size: 3-4 (makes about 10 pancakes, double as needed)