This BEST gluten-free pancake recipe makes wholesome, light and fluffy pancakes you’ll want to make over and over!
This recipe includes instructions on how to mix together a flour blend for pancakes with unmatched texture and flavor. You’ll never need to buy a box mix again!
Of all the recipes on my blog, this might be the one I make most often! I’ve tried many gluten-free pancake box mixes over the years and nothing compares the the flavor and texture of these pancakes. They are light and fluffy with a delicious flavor and wholesome ingredients.
My friends and family love these pancakes so much that over the years I’ve given bags of the pancake flour blend out as gifts. You’ll have to taste them for yourselves to see why this recipe is so loved!
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Pancakes
Here are a few notes about the ingredients for these gluten-free pancakes.
- Gluten-Free Flour Blend: More on this in a bit! Unlike my other recipes, you’ll need to mix together a special flour blend to make these pancakes. It’s what makes this recipe so unique and delicious!
- Ground Flaxseed: Adds a nice nutty flavor and helps with the texture. Plus it gives these pancakes a nutritious boost!
- Applesauce: This is an unusual ingredient, but it makes the best pancakes!
Flour Blend for Pancake Mix
The secret to making these pancakes is a special gluten-free flour blend. I mix up this flour blend once a month or so and keep it on hand for our weekly pancakes. It’s actually really easy to mix together and well worth the effort!
This flour blend is made of:
- 300 grams almond flour – Use blanched almond flour for best results
- 300 grams buckwheat flour – From raw buckwheat groats you grind into flour in the blender
- 300 grams potato starch
- 100 grams arrowroot powder
Be sure to check out the video I’ve included on how to make the gluten-free pancake mix.
Note: This flour blend is what makes these pancakes so perfectly delicious! You cannot substitute another gluten-free flour and expect the same results.
How to Make Gluten-Free Pancakes
STEP ONE: Mix Ingredients
- Mix together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately.
- It’s a good idea to make sure the milk isn’t too cold so the melted butter doesn’t solidify when you mix it in.
STEP TWO: Mix Batter
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix the batter, rather stir until no dry streaks of flour remain.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before cooking.
STEP THREE: Cook
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add a 1-2 tablespoons of butter and swirl until it sizzles.
- Scoop out about 1/4 cup batter and cook on one side until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Add Your Favorite Mix-Ins
You can make these gluten-free pancakes with whatever mix-ins you like! Blueberries or chocolate chips both make delicious additions. For blueberries you can use fresh or frozen. For chocolate chips I prefer stirring some mini chocolate chips right into the batter.
More Gluten-Free Breakfast Recipes:
- Gluten-Free Waffles – Light and crispy just like a good waffle should be!
- Gluten-Free Banana Muffins – They bake up soft, fluffy and moist.
- Oatmeal Pancake Recipe – Another gluten-free favorite.
I hope you love these gluten-free pancakes as much as we do! If you do, please leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Gluten-Free Pancakes (Best Recipe)
Pancake Mix Flour Blend:
To Make the Pancakes: (Makes 10-12 pancakes, double as needed)
- 2 cup flour blend
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk, or almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- butter, for cooking
Mix the Pancake Flour Blend:
- Grind the raw buckwheat groats into a fine flour. I do this in a dry blender container. Be sure to shake the mixture down and blend a few times to get a very fine, even flour.
- Combine the buckwheat flour and the rest of the ingredients for the flour blend in a storage container. Shake or mix to evenly combine.
To Make Pancakes:
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour blend, ground flaxseed, sugar, baking powder and salt) until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, mix together the wet ingredients (milk, egg, applesauce and melted butter) breaking up the egg to totally combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add a 1-2 tablespoons of butter and swirl until it sizzles. Scoop out about 1/4 cup batter and cook on one side until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Use blanched almond flour for best results
- Pre-ground buckwheat flour won't work the same here. Making freshly ground flour from raw buckwheat groats is key for this pancake mix.
This gluten-free pancake recipe was originally published in January 2015. Photos and recipe updated May 19, 2020.