Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole! An easy, naturally gluten-free, make-ahead breakfast everyone will love!
This sausage hashbrown breakfast casserole is a total crowd-pleaser! It’s full of flavorful sausage and veggies and is one of my favorite recipes for a holiday breakfast.
Whether it’s Christmas morning or just a busy morning, are so many times when it’s helpful to have an easy, make-ahead breakfast!
I’m always on the hunt for recipes like this for Christmas breakfast or when we have company in town. It’s so convenient to assemble everything the night before, keep it in the fridge then bake it off in the next morning.
Nobody wants to be sautéing sausage and creating dirty dishes on Christmas morning!
VIDEO: How to Make It
Table of Contents
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Flavorful and crowd-pleasing
- Overnight breakfast casserole option!
- Naturally gluten-free
- Easily made dairy-free!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here are a few notes on the key ingredients you’ll need for this easy hashbrown breakfast casserole.
- Hashbrowns: I like to use frozen shredded hash browns. You could also make this with frozen tater tots.
- Bell Peppers: You can use any color you like, except green bell peppers. I like to use red bell pepper so it contrasts with the green spinach in this breakfast bake!
- Cheese: You can make this with cheddar cheese, moneterey jack, pepper jack or dairy-free cheese. I usually make this with VioLife dairy-free cheese.
- Breakfast sausage: Use raw, uncooked ground sausage. I usually use Jimmy Dean Natural pork sausage. You could also use turkey sausage Italian sausage!
I love having a savory breakfast option to go along with something sweet. When we make cinnamon rolls or monkey bread for a special breakfast I always like to serve this hashbrown casserole alongside.
The older I get the more I need protein with breakfast – especially when we’re having a sweet treat! (PS try these gluten-free donuts for a breakfast treat!)
How to Make Gluten-Free Breakfast Casserole
The first step to making delicious breakfast casserole is to cook the sausage and vegetables in a large skillet over medium heat. The onions and peppers in this casserole won’t cook anymore once they are mixed into the the casserole – so I like to get them nice and soft while I brown the sausage mixture.
After the veggies have cooked, add the spinach and let it wilt for just a few minutes. I also love the pretty colors in this casserole with the the red pepper and spinach!
Many breakfast casseroles use soaked bread for texture – but I keep this breakfast casserole gluten-free by adding frozen hashbrowns. They make it hearty and give it a great consistency.
Also be sure to add a good teaspoon salt and pepper when you mix everything in a large bowl so this casserole is flavorful once it’s cooked.
Make it over the holidays or the next time you have a big group of people to feed on a busy morning!
Make it Dairy-Free
This breakfast casserole is also really easy to make dairy-free. I actually almost always make it dairy-free when I prepare this for my family.
I use coconut milk in place of regular milk and vegan cheese in place of sharp cheddar to make this dairy-free. It tastes just as delicious and you’d never know it’s dairy-free with all the sausage and onions/peppers!
Once you’ve added all the ingredients into the casserole dish. You can cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate the casserole. The next morning simply remove the plastic wrap and bake as instructed! Serve it with these gluten-free cinnamon rolls or gluten-free cranberry bread for a special breakfast!
I hope you enjoy this sausage hashbrown breakfast casserole as much as we do! PS try topping it with hot sauce!
If you try this recipe be sure to leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Sausage Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 lb pork breakfast sausage
- 3/4 cup red pepper diced
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 10 oz frozen hashbrowns (2 cups )
- 1-2 cups spinach finely chopped
- 10 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk or coconut milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar or dairy-free cheese, plus more for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion and red pepper. Break up sausage into small pieces and cook until the vegetables have softened and the sausage is no longer pink. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the spinach and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine the remaining ingredients. Add the sausage mixture and mix until totally combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese. At this point you can either bake the casserole or refrigerate the casserole and bake the next day.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, uncovered until the eggs are set. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!