Holiday baking is here! If you’re looking for a delicious, naturally gluten-free cookie (that doesn’t require weird ingredients) to make for holiday parties and cookies swaps, this is the one!
I had a hard time coming up with a name for these cookies. They are soft and chewy, but kind of a mixture between a macaroon and a meringue. I’ve never had anything like them – in a good way!
Plus these cookies get smoothered in chocolate and topped with a spinkle of chopped macadamia nuts. They also remind me of 7-Layer Bars in cookie form!
This recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, but as you probably know I don’t eat a lot of dairy. I found this coconut milk sweetened condensed milk at my local grocery store.
I’m happy to report it worked perfectly in these cookies! Now I want to try using it to make that fool-proof microwave fudge.
These cookies are great if you want to make a treat that doesn’t require stocking a gluten-free pantry. Sometimes when I’m visiting non-gluten-free family and don’t have all my baking ingredients with me I need recipes like this that can be made with ingredients everyone has around.
Happy Holiday Baking! Are there any holiday treats you’ve been wanting to make gluten-free? Let me know in the comments or by email! I love getting inspiration from your favorites too!
- 1 14oz package sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (I use this dairy-free condensed coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat (preferred) or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the shredded coconut, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, place the egg whites. Beat on medium speed, adding the sugar slowly over 3-4 minutes. Increase the speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 4-5 minutes more.
- Fold the egg white mixture carefully into the shredded coconut mixture, until just combined being careful not to overmix. Scoop out 1 1/2 tablespoon-sized mounds onto the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden. Let cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combined the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Set the bowl over a pot of simmering water and stir until melted. Alternatively you can melt the chocolate in the microwave at 50% heat stirring every minute until melted.
- When the cookies are cool, drizzle the top of each with some melted chocolate. Top with a sprinkle of macadamia nuts. Let the chocolate set and enjoy!
- Keep leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
MAKE IT NUT-FREE: Omit the macadamia nut topping. Top with something else like crushed pretzels or more shredded coconut.
MAKE IT DAIRY-FREE: Use coconut milk sweetened condensed milk (linked above) in place of regular condensed milk.
This post may contain affiliate links