The time of year when fruit crisps, crumbles, cobblers, and pies are a plenty! Crisps and cobblers are a great way to enjoy seasonal fruit any time of year, but few things in life are better than a summer peach.
This crisp has the most delicious topping (gluten-free or not!) I’ve ever had on a fruit crisp. A mixture of toasty oats and almonds, brown sugar, and butter make for a light, golden and perfectly sweet topping. This topping over warm, spiced peaches and a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream (coconut milk ice cream for me) is as good as summer dessert can get.
Truth be told I can’t be trusted around fruit crisps. I made this peach crisp for a get-together with some friends this week and there was just a small corner left after everyone had some. Everyone loved it and the rest was eaten (by me), before the dishes were done.
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Gluten-Free Peach Crisp
For the Topping:
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free, all-purpose flour (any blend will work here)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- .125 tsp of salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
For the Filling:
- 4 pounds peaches, peeled, halved, pitted and cute into 1/2 inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder, or cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- For the topping, Pulse 2/3 cup of the oats, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, water, and salt in a food processor until combined, about 6-8 pulses. Sprinkle the butter and half of the almonds over top and process until the butter is the size of peas and the mixture is crumbly, about 5 pulses. Add the remaining almonds and 1/3 oats and combine with 2 quick pulses.
- For the filling, mix all the ingredients together. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish or baking dish of choice. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the filling. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy with ice cream, whipped, cream, or coconut milk whipped cream!
Recipe for the topping adapted from the The How Can It Be Gluten Free Cookbook