This is my all-time favorite summer dessert! This is not a healthy dessert. That is something I am definitely aware of. But sometimes you just want to indulge a little on a special occasion!
This trifle has fresh berries, spongy angel food cake, whipped cream, and sweet cream cheese with a hint of almond.
If you’ve been turned off by trifle with instant vanilla pudding and frozen berries in the past, give this one a try!
I recently made this for a baby shower for one of my best friends. Everyone always loves it! The best part is this is a make-ahead dessert. In fact, the longer it sits the better. For this reason I love making it for parties and entertaining.
It is also such a pretty dessert! One of my major motivations to create the perfect gluten-free angel food cake was so I could make this trifle again! If you like this dessert you also might like this Gluten-Free 4th of July Dessert also made with angel food cake and berries. You also might like this gluten-free pound cake and this full collection of gluten-free cake recipes.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Trifle
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 pint of whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Rest:
- 1 angel food cake
- 4 cups fresh raspberries mixed with thinly sliced strawberries you can use whatever berries you like
- Allow cream cheese to soften at room temperature and place in a mixing bowl. Add powdered sugar, almond extract, and vanilla and blend until smooth.
- Whip up the heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until it forms stiff peaks.
- Assemble the trifle by placing a layer or broken up angel food cake in the bottom, followed by a spread of the cream cheese mixture.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with berries and then whipped cream on top of the berries. Repeat the layers again and finish with whipped cream on the top and decorate with raspberries.
- Let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours! (The longer it sits the better - preferably make it the night before). Serve cold by scooping into dessert glasses. Enjoy!
Is angel food cake gluten free?
If you use this recipe it is! https://meaningfuleats.com/perfect-gluten-free-angel-food-cake/
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
First time ever making a Trifle and this turned out so yummy! I used only raspberries, reduced the sugar in the whipped cream from 6 to 3 Tbs, and didn’t use all of the cream cheese layer. I made it the night before, and two days later it was still great. It’s a lot of effort to make the whole thing, starting with the (delicious) GF Angel Food Cake recipe, and totally worth every step! Thank you!
I’m glad it turned out well for you making it in advance! It’s definitely a labor of love. So glad you enjoyed it! 🙂
Made this for the 4th, it was truly delicious. Thank you for a great recipe!
How would this be without whipped cream? I don’t care for whipped cream, but love the remaining ingredients.
I’m actually nervous to put powdered sugar into the whip cream since there already powdered sugar in the cream cheese. Will that not be too sweet? Can I go without adding the sugar to the whip cream?
This was Delicious. Thank you very much for your recipe
So glad you liked it! 🙂
Do you have the recipe for the gluten free angel food cake
Will the angel food cake hold up if I add Sherry to the cake?
I’m going to a BBQ next weekend and thought this would be great to bring. Would it hold up okay outside for a few hours?
I think it would hold up well! I hope you like it!
We made this for Noah’s 1st birthday and it was a huge success! Your gf cake was awesome and the trifle was delicious