Gluten-Free Potato, Bacon & Egg Breakfast Burritos! Perfect for a quick and filling breakfast everyone will love.
Every couple weeks I get a breakfast burrito craving and nothing satisfies this craving more than one of these potato, bacon and egg breakfast burritos. They are my idea of breakfast burrito perfection! The potatoes cook in bacon fat and get nice and crispy while being generously seasoned with savory onion and garlic powder.
To save time in the morning, I usually make the potato/bacon mixture ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until I’m ready to make a burrito. Then in the morning all I have to do is reheat the potatoes (about 1/2 cup per burrito), scramble the eggs (make 2 per burrito) and melt the cheese on the tortillas. I don’t often use dairy-free cheese, “shreds” but if you’re dairy-free they work well here. Or you can just omit the cheese altogether as the potatoes and bacon are very flavorful on their own! My husband and I love these burritos with avocado and hot sauce. If you wrap them in foil they make the perfect, satisfying on-the-go breakfast!
These are pretty simple to make, but here are some pictures of the steps to get a visual:
1. Place the chopped and peeled potatoes in a glass (or microwave-safe) bowl. Toss with a little oil and salt. Microwave for three 5-minute increments (15 minutes total), stirring every 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon over medium heat. Once crispy, remove and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease.
3. Add the microwaved potatoes to the pan with bacon grease and cook without moving for 7-9 minutes. Sprinkle over the seasonings.
4. Stir and continue to cook until soft, then add the bacon back in.
5. Melt the cheese on the tortilla.
6. Add the potatoes and scrambled eggs and use the spatula to form the tortilla into a burrito.
7. Place on a piece of foil and add avocado/hot sauce.
8. Wrap up and enjoy!
To save time in the morning, I usually make the potato/bacon mixture ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until I’m ready to make a burrito. Then in the morning all I have to do is reheat the potatoes (about 1/2 cup per burrito), scrambled the eggs (make 2 per burrito) and melt the cheese on the tortillas. My favorite gluten-free tortillas to use for this are the Mission Gluten-Free Soft Taco Tortillas. (Not sponsored, just delicious!) I also like to use the brand Real Salt Seasoned Salt for the potatoes, but any salt will do.
For the Bacon & Potatoes:
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12oz bacon, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch of cayenne pepper
For the Burritos:
- Scrambled eggs (make 2 per burrito)
- Gluten-free tortillas
- Grated cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Hot Sauce
- Place the chopped and peeled potatoes in a glass (or microwave-safe) bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon avocado oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Microwave for three 5-minute increments (15 minutes total), stirring every 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon pieces over medium heat. This recipe works best with a cast-iron or non-stick skillet. Once crispy, remove and place on a paper-towel lined plate. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat.
- Heat the bacon fat over medium-high heat and add the potatoes in an even layer. Cook without moving for 7-9 minutes. Sprinkle over the seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and cayenne over the top.
- Stir and continue to cook until soft, about 5 minutes more. Then add the bacon back in. At this point you can save the potatoes in the fridge for when you’re ready to make a burrito. Reheat 1/2 cup of the mixture per burrito.
- To make a breakfast burrito, first make some scrambled eggs. I usually make 2 eggs per burrito. Heat a tortilla over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Flip and sprinkle cheese in the middle. Once the cheese begins to melt, add about 1/2 cup of the potato mixture and some scrambled eggs. Use a spatula to pull up the sides and help shape the burrito.
- Once the bottom of the tortilla is slightly golden and everything is hot, transfer to a piece of foil. Add the avocado and hot sauce if desired. Wrap up in the foil and enjoy!