A chocolate avocado smoothie is creamy and delicious way to start your day! Make this healthy smoothie for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
If you want a healthy smoothie that tastes like a treat you’ll love this chocolate avocado smoothie!
It is full of nutritious ingredients that are perfect to start your day. This smoothie is cold and creamy, and the combination of cocoa powder and nut butter will satisfy any sweet cravings.
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie Ingredients
- Almond milk – Any type of milk will work, but I prefer almond milk. Plus, it is low in calories and sugar.
- Banana – make sure it’s ripe, and you can use fresh or frozen.
- Avocado – our secret ingredient for a creamy texture and added health benefits
- Almond butter – provides protein, vitamins, and minerals
- Raw cacao powder – This will give a rich chocolate flavor and lots of antioxidants
- Dates – helps sweeten the smoothie, balance blood sugar, and give your brain a boost
- Flaxseed -A great source of fiber, omega-3, and iron.
- Ice – This helps to thicken the smoothie. If you are using frozen bananas, you can omit the ice. Although, the more ice you use, the thicker your smoothie will be. You can even make it as thick as a milkshake if you want to!
Can I taste the avocado?
There are plenty of benefits to adding avocado to a smoothie. The flavor of the avocado is so subtle that you don’t even taste it, especially when you combine it with chocolate and bananas.
Not only does the texture of the avocado make the chocolate green smoothie extra creamy, but it packs it full of nutrients too.
To make your smoothie:
- Grab a blender and pour in the almond milk and ice.
- Spoon in the almond butter, then add the cacao powder, dates, and chia seeds.
- Break the banana into chunks and remove the skin from the avocado. Add both to the blender.
- Put the lid on and blend until smooth. Super easy!
KID-FRIENDLY FROZEN TREAT IDEA
The flavor of this avocado smoothie is so good that even kids will love it. If you want to give them a healthy dessert or summertime snack, you can also make fudgesicles.
Just pour the smoothie into popsicle molds, add a popsicle stick, and freeze until firm.
Ingredient additions and substitutions
- Spinach: This is always a great addition to a smoothie. It has tons of vitamins and minerals and doesn’t affect the flavor.
- Protein powder: You can add this to the rest of the ingredients or use in place of the cacao powder.
- Chia seeds: A great source of protein, fiber, and other nutrients. Can be added or used in place of the flaxseed.
- Nut butter: If almond butter is not available, peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunbutter can be used instead.
- Milk: You can use other non-dairy milks like oat, soy, and cashew milk. Coconut milk will also work but will alter the flavor a bit. Dairy milk would be fine as well.
- Sweetener: Honey or pure maple syrup can be used in place of the dates.
Other healthy smoothie recipes:
- Banana Date Smoothie – A healthy treat that’s delicious any time of day.
- Mango Avocado Smoothie – Creamy, delicious, and loaded with healthy fats
What should you make for DINNER TONIGHT?
Check out my Gluten-Free Tried-and-True Dinner Recipes!
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1 cup ice
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tablespoons almond butter, (or peanut butter)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder, or cocoa powder
- 2-3 dates, (or 2-3 tablespoons honey)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, (or chia seeds)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more honey to taste if desired. Enjoy!
- A scoop of your favorite protein powder
- A handful of greens (like spinach or baby kale!)