A chocolate avocado smoothie is creamy and delicious way to start your day! Make this healthy smoothie for breakfast, or as an afternoon snack for when those chocolate cravings hit!
Looking for a tried and true chocolate avocado smoothie recipe? You’ve found it! Check out this post for tips and tricks to make a chocolate smoothie that tastes like a milkshake. It’s sure to curb your sweet tooth!
Wondering what you can do with all those avocados before they go brown? Take a break from the avocado toast and make a new type of green smoothie!
This healthy chocolate smoothie tastes like a treat and is sure to become your new favorite smoothie! You can customize it to make a smoothie bowl, thicker smoothie, or thinner smoothie. It’s up to you!
No matter how you make it, this is a perfect breakfast smoothie is full of nutritious and simple ingredients that are perfect to start your day.
The combination of cocoa powder and nut butter in this healthy chocolate avocado smoothie will satisfy any sweet cravings!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here are all of the healthy ingredients you’ll need for this smoothie recipe.
- Almond milk – Soy milk, oat milk, or regular milk will work, but I prefer almond milk. Plus, it is low in calories and sugar.
- Banana – Make sure it’s a ripe banana, and you can use fresh or frozen.
- Avocado – Ripe avocado is our secret ingredient for a creamy texture and added health benefits.
- Almond butter – Provides protein, vitamins, and minerals
- Raw cacao powder – This will give a rich chocolate flavor and lots of antioxidants. You can also use unsweetened cocoa powder, instead!
- Dates – Helps sweeten the smoothie, balance blood sugar, and gives your brain a boost.
- Flaxseed -A great source of fiber, omega-3, and iron.
- Ice – Ice cubes helps to thicken the smoothie. If you are using frozen bananas, you can omit the ice. Although, the more ice you use, the thicker your smoothie will be. You can even make it as thick as a milkshake if you want to!
Can I taste the avocado?
There are plenty of benefits to adding avocado to a smoothie. The flavor of the avocado is so subtle that you don’t even taste it, especially when you combine it with chocolate and bananas.
Not only does the texture of the avocado make the chocolate green smoothie extra creamy, but it packs it full of nutrients too.
How to Make this Smoothie
- Grab a blender and pour in the almond milk (or other non-dairy milk) and ice.
- Spoon in the almond butter, then add the cacao powder, dates, and chia seeds.
- Break the banana into chunks and remove the skin from the avocado. Add both to the blender.
- Put the lid on and blend until smooth. Super easy!
Ingredient Additions and Substitutions
- Spinach: This is always a great addition to a smoothie. It has tons of vitamins and minerals and doesn’t affect the flavor.
- Protein powder: You can add this to the rest of the ingredients or use in place of the cacao powder.
- Chia seeds: A great source of protein, fiber, and other nutrients. Can be added or used in place of the flaxseed.
- Nut butter: If almond butter is not available, peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunbutter can be used instead.
- Milk: You can use other non-dairy milks like oat, soy, and cashew milk. Coconut milk will also work but will alter the flavor a bit. Dairy milk would be fine as well.
- Sweetener: Honey or pure maple syrup can be used in place of the dates.
You can place all of the ingredients for this smoothie (except the milk) in a smoothie cup and store it in the freezer until you’re ready to make. When you want the smoothie, dump all of the ingredients in the blender, add the milk, and blend!
Yes, avocado is a delicious addition to a chocolate smoothie! It adds healthy fats and makes the smoothie rich and creamy, without adding overwhelming avocado flavor.
Avocado makes a smoothie more rich, creamy, and filling. It also adds healthy fats, fiber, and other nutrients. Plus, the flavor is hard to detect!
Yes, avocado and chocolate can be combined to make a healthy smoothie, chocolate avocado pudding, cupcakes, and more. The chocolate usually masks the flavor of the avocado, and the avocado adds healthy fats and other nutrients.
Expert Tips and Tricks
- Kid-friendly fudgesicles: The flavor of this avocado smoothie is so good that even kids will love it. If you want to give them a healthy dessert or summertime snack, you can also make fudgesicles. Just pour the smoothie into popsicle molds, add a popsicle stick, and freeze until firm.
- Protein smoothie: You can substitute cocoa powder with chocolate protein powder for a more filling, protein-packed smoothie.
- Blender: If you want the creamiest, smoothest smoothie, a high-speed blender is best.
Other Healthy Smoothie Recipes:
- Banana Date Smoothie – A healthy treat that’s delicious any time of day.
- Mango Avocado Smoothie – Creamy, delicious, and loaded with healthy fats
I hope you love this healthy smoothie recipe as much as we do! If you try this smoothie, be sure to leave me a comment/rating below. I’d love to hear from you!
Best Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- 2 cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 cup ice
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 an avocado
- 2 tablespoons almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 2-3 dates (or 2-3 tablespoons honey)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (or chia seeds)
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more honey to taste if desired. Enjoy!
- A scoop of your favorite protein powder
- A handful of greens (like spinach or baby kale!)